Article: Kang Dong Won, "I'm sorry I didn't realize my great-grandfather's history was an embarrassing one" (official apology)
Source: X Sports News via Nate
1. [+2,960, -126] So his grandmother's also the descendant of an independence fighter... Hul, but his great-grandfather was still pro-Japanese;;;; what a bizarre family line
2. [+2,675, -439] I found the reactions to this scandal funnier ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I remember Lee Ji Ah getting a ton of hate for being having pro-Japanese family history but some were still defending Kang Dong Won saying the crimes of his ancestors can't be put on him ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
3. [+2,393, -93] His grandmother's the descendant of a independence fighter?
4. [+317, -28] Still doesn't change the fact that his great-grandfather was the creator of comfort women. The only way he can pay all of this back is to help all of the descendants of independence fighters live better lives today.
5. [+256, -17] His grandmother is the descendant of an independence fighter? Back then, independence fighters saw pro-Japanese people as worse than trash, how in the world did she end up marrying into a pro-Japanese family? It doesn't make sense at all
6. [+185, -30] "I didn't realize it -> I didn't know -> It's not my fault" all excuses... You didn't realize any of this so why did you go and delete all of the articles off of the media?
7. [+182, -17] It's not his fault that he was born into such a family but the fact that he tried to erase it off of the media makes it worse... If only he had owned up to it and vowed to help charities for comfort women or independence fighters.
8. [+161, -6] But if he's the descendant of both a pro-Japanese man and an independence fighter, what does that make him?? ㅋㅋㅋ
9. [+158, -12] His own family has a history of filing lawsuits to remove his great-grandfather's name from the pro-Japanese registry, how could he really not have known?
10. [+118, -8] He claims that he heard nothing but good stories about his great-grandfather since he was little ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ as expected from a pro-Japanese family, look at them brainwashing their kids like that. They should be ashamed of everything their ancestors did but I guess they feel no shame living off of the money earned by betraying your own country.
1. [+31,709, -1,753] I read another comment saying that a descendant cannot choose the ancestry he is born into. It cannot be Kang Dong Won's fault that his grandfather is who he is. However, it's up to him to admit his fault and live a proper life in his place. All he needs to say is that "My ancestor was unfortunately such a person... and I feel sorry about all that he did."
2. [+26,762, -1,060] Let's get one thing straight, Kang Dong Won is not getting hate just for being a descendant of or a pro-Japanese. It's because he always talked about his great-grandfather from a place of respect. If he truly did not know, his first course of action should've been to admit that he was ignorant and apologize. Instead, he tried to delete it off of the media, which only made things worse. I don't know if it's just YG's specialty but deleting everything off the media was the worst possible thing he could've done.
3. [+21,766, -659] If he had written this apology before he tried to erase the scandal off of the media, he would've been able to recover... He got all the steps wrong and now people are enraged and his image is shattered. Please be more careful in the future...
4. [+18,441, -687] How is it possible that his great-grandfather is a pro-Japanese but his grandmother is the descendant of an independence fighter?
5. [+14,511, -530] A pro-Japanese great-grandfather, an independence fighter grandmother... what kind of household is this
6. [+4,029, -265] Honestly any scandal regarding the army or the pro-Japanese are impossible to shield in Korea so bye bye..
7. [+3,548, -122] Even if the descendants are not at fault for what their ancestors did, they should know to be embarrassed about it at the very least
8. [+2,900, -81] "I heard good stories about him growing up"..... shocking