Article: Who are the idol group 'centers'? 'Looks based' on debut but 'popularity based' after debut
Source: Munhwa Ilbo via Naver
1. [+1,322, -55] Center members are only important in Japanese girl groups. Korean girl groups change who the center member is by part so it's a meaningless position unless you're doing interviews and such.
2. [+1,059, -38] We've moved on from the center member thing a while ago... it was just 'Produce 101' that focused so much on it because they copied the Japanese system of doing things.
3. [+558, -26] Feels like groups nowadays are better off with members of equal popularity rather than having a center or ace member. I've noticed that the group ends up disbanding when it's time to renew.
4. [+79, -13] I've noticed that center members are usually the prettiest though. Even if the entire group is pretty, the center member is more eye catching.
5. [+63, -8] You can be like Sana and not even be the center member but come with the 'Shashasha' and be the end all
6. [+71, -11] Nowadays it's not the center member that's important but having that one special unique member that brings in fans with some quirkiness
7. [+60, -10] Usually the member with the most CFs is the center member
8. [+28, -2] The center position isn't as important as the member with the most popularity. If the most popular member stands in the corner, then that corner becomes the new center.
9. [+24, -2] The reason why Twice is so popular lately is because they don't push a center member and the members individually are unique and charming. I've rarely seen a girl group that pushed a center member do well in the long run.
10. [+15, -0] Center = visual, that formula has never changed