Recent Posts

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Girlfriend's CEO claims they will never do a sexy concept


Article: Girlfriend's producer CEO So Sung Jin "Girlfriend will never ever do a sexy concept"

Source: Ize via Naver

Excerpt:

How did you plan out the creation of the group?
CEO: ...When I first decided to make a girl group, I didn't have a clear identity or concept in mind. I just knew that I wanted to make a girl group based around a really good song. I then cast junior, high school members and they became Girlfriend. I needed a team that could earn a fandom and the members are young so I didn't want a sexy concept and decided on an innocent concept but a specific type of innocent concept. It was then that I saw pictures and old resources of SES, FinKL, and SNSD on different community sites and drew inspiration from it. I knew there was a niche in this market and began training the kids to fit that.

The girl groups that were already out shot their music videos showing off their pretty visuals on film sets. No matter how we glammed up our kids with make up, they were still rookies and it looked obvious. We decided to set ourselves apart from the other girl groups by shooting the music videos not on a set but outside in the real world. It has now become something of their own unique thing and I'm greatly satisfied with it.

I also realized that it's only now that they'll look this way and I wanted to show that so we purposely dressed them in plain white t-shirts and white skirts and barely any make up. The girls are bound to mature and become prettier in 3-4 years but I didn't want to show their prettiness all at once. I wanted to show them as they are in this moment.

Boy groups are also known for strict choreographies but girl groups don't have that. INFINITE and TEEN TOP are known for their intricate choreographies, right? 'Glass Bead' has a harder dance than it looks. I had their dance trainer rehearse with them on repeat for 7 months. We continued the trend of having difficult dance routines with 'Me Gustas Tu' and have slowly made it our unique and distinguishing factor.

What is your ultimate goal for Girlfriend?
CEO: It's still something I'm working on. But, a staff said something to me and it's that we are never going to have a new member or have a member leave in the group. Even if there's a member who is lacking in something or isn't as popular as the others, we're never going to change the members or add new ones. I'm going to find a goal for the group that doesn't shatter what they stand for.

-

-

1. [+1,625, -112] I hope Girlfriend doesn't change...

2. [+1,383, -148] You can see why Girlfriend is successful from the interview. The group sticks to one concept that makes them stand out, the concept being 'powerful innocence'. They don't try to glam up the members or make them act like they're above the public, they're like girls next door with a natural air to them that both fans and the public can relate to. I hope that the interview remains true and that the group never does a sexy concept in the future.

3. [+183, -12] It's because their CEO knows what he wants that Girlfriend has grown as successfully as they have now

4. [+166, -13] I like the CEO's mindset. Girl groups nowadays are all so bent on the sexy concept, dressing like they work at late night pubs and doing erotic dances. Nothing about them stands out, they all look the same with long hair and white skin. No different from the girls at the clubs..

5. [+135, -5] I like that the CEO never plans to take any members out or add any new ones in. I hope that he keeps his word until the end!

6. [+118, -13] I also hope that Girlfriend keeps their innocent concept forever~^^ I hate sexy concepts ㅠㅠ CEO-nim, you're the best! And I also like that Girlfriend's lyrics don't have English words

7. [+92, -3] I like that the CEO is willing to wait for the members who aren't as popular with the public... he believes in their potential.

8. [+80, -4] I think the fact that Girlfriend isn't glammed up but dressed simply is their biggest selling point

9. [+79, -8] I'm against the sexy concept as well ㅋㅋㅋ Girlfriend fighting

10. [+55, -1] The CEO seems to know what he wants. I like that he says that he doesn't care if there's a member that falls behind or less popular, he's not going to change the members at all and is going to go with them until the end..

-

20 comments:

  1. hope people dont lose interest in them or else they really have to

    ReplyDelete
  2. He basically cleared up everything about gfriend in one interview

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly gradually changing is good. I do find concept like snsd; cutesy to mature - is a good way to keep fans interested.
    Apink too, after a while i do hope they change something. I mean look at their potential.. top notch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But there is always a limit uptil which u can do innocent concepts. Snsd were at peak with their innocent concepts but now ppl want diff mature kinda concept from them . I understand if one likes innocent concepts but dont put other groups down calling them club workers or smth. Reminds me of stellar interviews. Its only an image .They r normal girls and their parents /friends love them too. Sexy concepts doesnt mean they r strippers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on this translation, the girls are in the right place. They're really lucky to have entered a company with a CEO like this. Everything is planned carefully for them, and as long as they don't give up, the company won't either. Makes the girls more likeable to have someone like him backing them up :3

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ceo sounds very focused which is good. There's so many other concepts to do besides the usual ott Sexy concept. I would be happy to see Gfriend pull off Kara or e-girls themes in the future.

    I hated the new mobile layout, but it's driven so many of the erratic stans away, so good job NB !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There will be a time when he will regret having said that.

    3. [+183, -12] It's because their CEO knows what he wants that Girlfriend has grown as successfully as they have now

    Isn"t it rather because they fell on stage repetitively and got sympathy over that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao no. It doesn't matter if the girls fell 2 times or 100 times, they were going to get popular. They were doing well even before that fancam but the fancam helped a little no denying that. Non-fans should stop making up excuses like yours to down play their success so far

      Delete
    2. Ariel Ling is both half right and wrong... She's right about the falling incident that made them famous. She's wrong about the sympathy part, that's not what makes videos go viral here in the West. They were sympathized by the locals, but they were admired by the outsiders of Korea for showcasing true professionalism and determination during a time of hard trial in their career: falling continuously on stage but KEPT GOING TILL THE END. Time magazine expresses it better than me lol, "...demonstrating to us all that no matter how many times life knocks you down,just get back up and carry on." (time.com) SO please, I don't plan on telling you to stop hating GFriend but please don't discredit their efforts and hard work. They're still young girls with a bright future to look forward to.

      Delete
    3. Omg no! Everyone would have forgotten the stage if not for the song. Me gustas tu was really good and the new comeback song is too that's why they're doing good. Not bcs of one stage..koreans obviously wouldn't take pity bcs of just slipping to give them a long time number one spot for the rest if their careers..that's ridiculous

      Delete
  8. if they success because of sympathy so why ladies code cant? isnt they get more sympathy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the songs that were hits that got Gfriend not just soley on "sympathies"

      Delete
  9. 6. [+118, -13] I also hope that Girlfriend keeps their innocent concept forever~^^ I hate sexy concepts ㅠㅠ CEO-nim, you're the best! And I also like that Girlfriend's lyrics don't have English words

    ?? I found this kind of comment several times.. What's wrong with english words? I'm curious tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I don't like it when they have too much English in songs either. There awkward pronunciation or just nonsensical sentences here and there are annoying. This goes for all Kpop groups not just them. It's like when Mr.Mr was released knetizens were like Wtf because they said SNSD were speaking gibberish.

      Delete
  10. Feel like apink follower....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes their song don't have english lyrics but have spanish. Me gustas tu tu tu

    ReplyDelete
  12. no english lyrics but there are spanish lyrics lmao

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a buddy I hope they.do change concepts as they get older to match their age, not a sexy concept perse, I don't see many young 20 somethings dress all provocative on the daily, if my little sisters did that, then I'll smack the stupid out of them hahaha anyway I hope their next comeback is fire! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. You hear that netizens? They aren't glammed up and all sexy on purpose? Even if there's always people hating umji and questioning her role in the group and saying she is ugly, she will stay in the group. I really like how gf s concept is appropriate for their age. Unlike Twice, who i really like too, i just wish they didn't have a sexy concept yet. I feel uncomfortable watching Tzuyu who is still a baby in my eyea in sexy clothes that exhance her body so much

    ReplyDelete