Article: [Exclusive] Ryu Jun Yeol under Ilbe controversy? "Going on a tofu errand"
Source: Seoul News via Nate
The ilbe community is known for making fun of the late president Noh Moo Hyun. At the time of the president's death, his reason for death was announced as being caused by a 'head injury', which also shares the same pronunciation as 'tofu credit', which ilbe users then began using as a joke by implying that the president was so poor he had to buy tofu on a credit.
Netizens connected Ryu Jun Yeol's picture of him rock climbing/hanging off a ledge with the caption "On an errand for my mom to buy tofu" as being associated with ilbe because the president commit suicide at the Bueongibawi Rock. This combined with the tofu mentioned in his caption pointed to an ilbe association considering how random it is for him to comment about tofu in a picture about rock climbing.
1. [+1,153, -274] This is undeniable... why would he randomly mention a tofu errand on a picture of himself hanging off of a rock? I didn't even find out about what tofu meant until today and this is shocking... Ryu Jun Yeol-ssi, I'm so disappointed in you.
2. [+880, -284] This is undeniable evidence. He must've lost it after all the support people gave his ugly face. He should take himself off of all his shows and go into a permanent reflection.
3. [+696, -55] I didn't learn about tofu's association with ilbe until today ㅋㅋㅋ
4. [+102, -120] I didn't even know tofu was associated with ilbe until today;; honestly this whole thing sounds forced. The most common errand moms send their kids on is to go out to buy tofu and he's hanging off a rock on the picture so he probably meant it as a funny caption. Aren't the people even implying that the comment is associated with ilbe an ilbe user themself for knowing about it? ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
5. [+88, -99] Isn't this honestly too forced? How can this be connected to ilbe? Just looks like he was trying to be funny in his picture
Article: Ryu Jun Yeol, "NOT associated with ilbe we will take strong action against malicious interpretation"
Source: TV Report via Naver
1. [+2,073, -317] Why doesn't he clarify what he meant by that picture then?
2. [+1,846, -321] The picture clearly gives enough for people to be suspicious and he doesn't clarify any of it and goes straight to threatening with legal action?
3. [+1,638, -265] A lot of ilbe users make jokes about rock climbing and tofu errands...
4. [+1,365, -193] He needs to clarify why he wrote about tofu on a picture of himself hanging off a ledge... this is not the time for legal action ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
5. [+681, -88] Why would he write about tofu on a picture of himself hanging off a ledge.. ㅋㅋ it makes no sense
6. [+677, -89] He's about to ruin his entire career by mishandling this...
7. [+595, -65] I don't understand why he flipped the angle of his picture to make it look like he's hanging off a ledge and wrote that he was on a tofu errand...
8. [+624, -76] So he didn't clarify anything and is instead choosing to make everyone shut up
1. [+317, -40] He needs to clarify why he wrote about "tofu" on that picture then. He even flipped the picture to make it look like he's hanging off a ledge. Rock climbing and tofu...... he needs a definite clarification that separates the connection people are making about it right now. Please don't just deny it and give a clear and concise explanation.
2. [+285, -47] It's not like he's going to admit he's an ilbe user... but tofu combined with rock climbing, that's undeniable... furthermore, the picture is of him actually laying on the floor but he flipped it to make it look like he's hanging off a ledge.. please give proper feedback on this ㅠㅠㅠㅠ
3. [+250, -33] There would be no problem if the tofu comment was separate from the picture of him hanging off a ledge but because he combined the two, it is now a problem... Don't try to defend him like you don't know what he is implying with that picture... how in the world can you make sense of the connection between tofu and rock climbing?
4. [+29, -18] As a man, this is such a mess. It's obvious that he was just trying to be funny.
5. [+21, -10] All because of those ilbe bugs, the rest of us can't even use regular words without being accused of being ilbe ㅋㅋㅋ how the hell are we supposed to know what words they use in that community ㅋㅋㅋ it's unfair to judge someone as being from ilbe over a couple words they used
6. [+20, -4] Stop shielding him, this is gross
7. [+19, -1] And yet no explanation on the Instagram post in question
8. [+13, -6] I am so sick of celebrities always taking legal actionㅋ
Article: Ryu Jun Yeol, internet abuzz with 'ilbe' controversy... "Forced vs Ilbe reference" opinions divided
Source: E-Today via Nate
1. [+210, -21] Some people are saying that this is forced but even when I first saw the picture, I wondered why he would make a caption like that and it wasn't until today that I found out about the association with ilbe too... unless he gives a clear explanation, something will always seem fishy about him.
2. [+191, -17] I just don't understand why he would caption his picture like that...?
3. [+157, -19] Screw off, ilbe bug
4. [+30, -11] I understand that the picture draws suspicion but this makes me realize how scary public sentiment is. Even if he denies that he's ilbe, netizens aren't going to believe it saying they wouldn't expect an ilbe user to come out anyway. I hope Ryu Jun Yeol understands the situation and clarifies this clearly...
5. [+24, -6] There are comments defending him saying that he's just making a joke about rock climbing being as hard as running an errand for your mom but why would he take a picture of himself on the floor and turn it around to make it look like he's hanging off a ledge then...?
1. [+3,321, -401] It doesn't make any logical sense. What does a rock climbing picture have to do with a tofu errand? It's a language of their own
2. [+2,588, -357] Does he really think that his comment about tofu errands explains what he's doing in the picture?
3. [+2,289, -355] He's going to have to clarify what the connection between a tofu errand and a rock climbing picture has to do with each other to get rid of this controversy... why does he leave that bit out?
4. [+1,049, -144] He needs to clarify what made him comment about tofu on a picture of himself rock climbing. Don't threaten with legal action without giving us proper feedback first.
5. [+880, -94] So why isn't he explaining what tofu has to do with him hanging off the ledge? It doesn't make sense