Article: BBC criticizes the abnormal management of Korean and Japanese idols
Source: Sports Donga via Naver [original BBC article here]
1. [+2,915, -46] If they think this is bad, imagine the shock when they watch 'Produce 101'... grading human beings like beef ㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+2,250, -54] It's funny because Koreans themselves are enraged over the abuse of power and find the hierarchy system suffocating but when an idol bows in 90 degrees to a senior who only debuted a month earlier, people call it 'heartwarming'. Everyone is addicted to the system of hierarchy, age, and power.
3. [+1,506, -45] They do indeed get managed past the point of understanding by foreigners...
4. [+2,049, -311] Whatever, better than your foreign idols who ruin their teen years with drugs
5. [+1,267, -64] Their points are stuff that we realize too but I don't understand why Tzuyu had to apologize either..
6. [+262, -16] What they're saying isn't right but just like how Americans don't understand our idol system, Koreans don't understand the actions of Bieber either. If Bieber was a Korean idol and did those things in Korea, he'd never be able to stand up on stage again. American culture may not invade the privacy of their idols but their idols have that many more problems that don't affect their celebrity standing. In our country though, the damage to your career is huge if you're caught with a problem in your private life and your career may end as a result of it.
7. [+278, -22] I think it's just a difference in culture because I find some things about the private lives of Hollywood horrifying
8. [+285, -39] So foreign idols aren't managed "abnormally" like Asian idols, is that why they're always getting into drug and assault scandals? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ It's like some sh*t stained dog yelling at another sh*t stained dog without smelling his own sh*t
9. [+192, -16] I'd rather our idols be managed like this than lead the dirty private lives that English rock stars live
10. [+147, -16] Yeah, I'm sure foreigners are making the right decision not to manage their idols at all seeing as how they've all ended up pregnant or in the news every single day for drugs and scandals
11. [+118, -9] The concept of idols alone is abnormal.... how can you "produce" musicians like they're being punched out of a factory?
12. [+102, -5] It's only abnormal by their standards... they probably think it's weird that Asian idols aren't allowed to be all rebellious and crazy like their own Western idols
13. [+93, -3] Yeah well we think your culture of getting into massive fights and setting things on fire over a soccer game is stupid too but you don't see us saying anything about it
14. [+86, -4] There are pros and cons to agencies managing their idols the way we do... if you don't like it, don't be an idol, be an artist.
15. [+79, -3] If agencies don't manage their idols, we're going to have police in and out of agencies every day. These kids debut in their teens, they need guidance and management or else they'll get into trouble.