Article: '555555' 'wwwwww'... the different online laughs of the world
Source: SBS via Naver
Article talks about how different countries express 'lol' or 'ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ' online.
Thailand: Uses '5' because it's pronounced 'haa' in Thai. If something's especially funny, they'll add a + like '5555+'
Japan: Uses a character for 'warai' which means to laugh, but because the character takes many key strokes, they shortened it to just the first letter 'w' so it looks like 'wwwwww'.
China: Also uses a character that's pronounced 'ha' in Chinese.
Brazil: Uses 'Riso' which means to laugh but shortened to 'rs' for faster typing. Sometimes will also use 'haushaushaushaushaus'.
1. [+896, -34] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+505, -39] Americans use lol (laughing out loud) right
3. [+344, -18] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋwwwww55555+rsrsrsrsr
4. [+172, -14] 'Haus' looks hard to type fast for Brazilians
- They usually just spam the keyboard like hsuusuasjsjhshshshshshssushshahhshs
- I've seen Brazilians use 'kkkkk'
- Imagine if they made a typo laughing like 'kkkk'
- I doubt they'd use 'kkk' since they'd be called racist
5. [+74, -6] For Koreans, the ㅋ has many meanings depending on how often you repeat it:
ㅋ: Laughing at you by putting you down
ㅋㅋ: When you have nothing else to say but replying out of obligation
ㅋㅋㅋ: Not really funny enough to laugh irl but still funny
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ: Okay, it's funny
ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㄱㅋㅋㄱ: Actually laughing in real life
6. [+28, -0] I see so many 'w' in Nicodong ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
7. [+18, -0] Spanish: jejeje or jajajaja
8. [+23, -2] To me, ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ still looks the funniest
9. [+12, -0] I'm pretty sure the Chinese use numbers too...
10. [+11, -0] Japanese also use 8888888 as the sound of applause/clapping
11. [+13, -1] I always wondered why Spanish people laughed by saying 'jajaja' until I learned that their j is an h. I also thought the Japanese 'w' was just ^^ flipped upside down and thought the Japanese thought things were funny enough to laugh upside down about until I learned the actual reason...
12. [+12, -1] Haha is universal
13. [+6, -0] The French use 'mdr' or 'Mmmrd' or 'mmdrr mmmddrr' if something's really funny
14. [+3, -0] I'm living abroad and it's so frustrating that I can't type ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ.. 'lololol' just doesn't express me in the same way ㅋㅋ