Article: "Get rid of Christmas! We oppose the capitalism of dating relationships!" Bachelors of Japan petition
Source: Yonhap News via Nate
1. [+147, -20] I support them. Find strength... It's true that Jesus's birthday has become commercialized into a day where you give your lover a gift. I don't know how that happened.
2. [+121, -16] I've been living in Europe for over two years now and the culture of Christmas here is very different than back in Korea. Europe barely has any cultural holidays for couples... Christmas is celebrated by people taking a week off and going back to their hometowns to spend time with their families. If you go to the market in the cities during Christmas, it's usually just people enjoying some wine after work with their families. When I told my European friends that Christmas in Korea is celebrated only by couples, they were so shocked ㅋㅋ Of course they're different cultures but after living here, I think it's more meaningful to celebrate it as a holiday with your family...
3. [+76, -9] This makes me sad.. ㅠ
4. [+17, -5] Ha... it's not like couples enjoy Christmas either. I have no money, not sure what to buy for her present.. ㅠㅠ What am I doing on someone else's birthday
5. [+16, -9] What a mess ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
6. [+9, -2] I think it's wrong that Christmas is celebrated as a couple's holiday too.. it's really sad for people who are single. Church only holds service till the morning, there's no where to go at night and it feels wrong staying at home by yourself.. but if you go out on the streets, there's a bunch of couples linking arms.. Christmas is so hard for solos ㅜㅜ it shouldn't be a day for only lovers
7. [+6, -3] I'm single this Christmas too, makes me tear up
8. [+4, -2] I support you!!!! Let me wipe my tears ㅠㅠ
9. [+3, -1] But I bet if they get girlfriends, they'll definitely celebrate Christmas ㅎㅎ
10. [+3, -1] Funny but sad...