Article: The powers of the industry reshuffled... Lee Soo Man and Yang Hyun Suk
Source: Korea Economy via Naver
Editorial that talks about how Lee Soo Man/SM has ruled the music industry for the past 10 years as the undisputed #1 but with Psy hitting daebak last year, YG's stocks rose high enough to catapult Yang Hyun Suk into the #1.
The editorial ends with a look at the different "training systems" between the two companies, pointing out that YG tries to emphasize the styles that their artists already have while SM focuses on a uniform style and look for each of their artists.
1. [+248, -6] Park Jin Young would dislike this article
2. [+211, -23] I just don't find myself anticipating anything about SM's music anymore...
3. [+177, -22] SM is more like a gathering of people who just want to be a celebrity because they have a bit of talent in dancing or because they're hot. JYP is like a gathering of average kids that Park Jin Young helps find something special to put out while YG set themselves from the start as a hip hop company so anyone who applies to join are already interested in that field. What puts YG ahead is that their producers only help what their artists want to do as well as the fact that the company doesn't emphasize the importance of physical beauty. There's a difference between training kids that already know what they want vs training kids that just want to be a celebrity, whether that be a singer or an actor.
4. [+131, -11] YG's got more flair. SM artists are handsome and pretty but they're like dolls you can only look at from a glass window.
5. [+140, -21] SM reminds me of a concentration camp. Once you're trapped, it's difficult to leave and even if you manage to leave, it's never on good terms. I always end up feeling bad for their artists.
6. [+99, -3] I agree that SM is at a standstill but I think JYP is more in danger of losing everything at this point...
7. [+99, -10] Either way, I think SM would still make the most cash because they only put together pretty groups which are the best at attracting strong fandoms. Although this continues to separate them from the public, they're still creating a market from within their own fandom.
8. [+89, -9] JYP always comes out with the best artists but they never know how to maintain any of it. Park Jin Young's a great producer but his business skills are very poor. 2PM, Wonder Girls, miss A, god, Rain... They all debuted at the top and look at them now. JYP's the best at producing, SM's the best at planning, and YG's the best at management.
9. [+106, -29] SM has been in the lead for the past 7~8 years but they're no longer where they think they are position wise.
10. [+74, -10] SM needs to put out music that's actually worth calling music. Their faces can't sell these songs forever.