Article: 'City Conquest' producers argue "Rejected from KBS from government intervention" vs KBS "Unfounded rumors"
Source: Star News via Naver
Kim Hyun Joong's drama 'City Conquest' was originally scheduled for a time slot with KBS but was recently rejected for what the production company is claiming "government intervention". In a press release, they detail all of the demands KBS made, including switching out script writers, editing the scripts, switching out parts of the cast, etc, which they all complied with out of pressure.
In the end, KBS decided to drop the drama all together after a certain switch of power in the higher ups. "KBS officials told us that the reason they could not air the drama was because despite its superior content and business potential, the depiction of violence was not the right fit for a time when the government is making a new start."
KBS came out with their own statement saying that their claims are unfounded. "The drama features too much violence and revenge themes and makes a mockery out of the police. We thus felt that it was inappropriate for broadcast."
1. [+122, -23] Lately, I'm starting to think SBS is the only normal channel....
2. [+109, -12] If their reason is because of violence, they need to take Iris off air too then.
3. [+91, -11] I agree, they should cut production on Iris if they're really worried about all this violence... The drama's just full of gun fights.
4. [+83, -13] This is like a real life version of King of Dramas. The drama industry is so corrupted.
5. [+80, -13] Seems like the King of Dramas wasn't exaggerating...
6. [+70, -12] They should've gone to SBS... They have a lot of comics-turned-dramas like Daemul and stuff.
7. [+70, -12] Just turn everything into cable. MBC and KBS are too busy standing around on their knees for the government like little puppets.
8. [+61, -8] This is actually worse than what happened in the King of Dramas
9. [+38, -10] What a comedy... Since when did the government care about making sure all of the dramas were positive whenever someone new was elected.
10. [+29, -8] They should just give the drama up and let the actors go their separate ways... They're wasting their time holding them down for this long... They can't even do anything else while they're waiting.