American media blames Korea's competitive idol industry for Jonghyun's suicide


Article: American media criticizes K-Pop industry, "A hunger game that only the strong can survive"

Source: Mydaily via Nate

1. [+1,805, -50] I find it so useless when the western media fixates on this aspect of the K-Pop industry when there has been multiple suicides by western musicians. It's not like they commit suicide because they went through some training program like Korean idols.

2. [+1,477, -48] But is this even applicable to Jonghyun-ssi? The article is written as if it's the competitiveness of the industry to fault even though they point out themselves that there's really no specific reason for his death. It'd make sense if this article was about the suicide of an idol who was never popular but Jonghyun-ssi is a singer who was at the top of his career. I really dislike how the foreign media is connecting Korea's competitive society with his suicide.

3. [+1,392, -41] The Americans are dissecting this in a weird direction. What happened to Jonghyun has nothing to do with the idol industry.

4. [+37, -0] Isn't this applicable to any industry? Only the best can survive in any situation. Furthermore, Jonghyun is already a successful singer. This seems like such a stretch to make that connection.

5. [+29, -0] Like Hollywood is any better

6. [+29, -2] "Only the best survive" is applicable to any industry in any country in the world... In what industry can the weak survive?

7. [+22, -0] America needs to focus on their gun control issues

8. [+20, -0] And what about America???? Is America an industry where some random person without any support or backing can become a famous singer overnight, without any competition?

9. [+19, -0] This doesn't seem like something America has any right to say

10. [+11, -0 Funny because we all know that America is much worse and cruel as an industry!

-


Article: Psychiatrist Kim Hyun Chul criticizes doctor in charge of Jonghyun... "I can't accept his (diagnosis) as a colleague"

Source: Star Today via Nate

1. [+2,932, -111] I assumed this guy was the doctor but I guess not. Yeah, the doctor in the will did sound weird... how can you blame someone's personality on their issues?

2. [+2,871, -160] That doctor needs to be investigated... there are a lot of incompetent doctors... Even I can come up with a diagnosis like that ㅡㅡ

3. [+2,461, -362] Sigh.. ajusshi, just stay quiet

4. [+197, -16] People really need to stop jumping to conclusions based on one side of the story. Do you really think the doctor was just like "yeah your personality sucks"? Obviously it was just a part of their consultation and they were talking about his personality. Jonghyun was in a sensitive state because of his depression and he could've distorted what he heard. It's really unfair to blame this entire thing on the doctor. How can doctors even do their jobs in fear of getting treated like this?

5. [+181, -19] It feels unfair to blame the doctor without even knowing who he is and what actually happened during the consultation. This doctor may be a doctor but he's quite the attention wh*re.

6. [+171, -30] I've worked with a patient with depression before and sometimes there's nothing good you can tell them without them personally distorting it and interpreting it differently. Without proper proof, it's unfair to blame a doctor with just some words off a will.

7. [+123, -3] In a state of deep depression, Jonghyun might've become fixated on that one thing that the doctor said among many things he said during the consultation because it made him feel sad and rageful. We have no idea how long that doctor consulted with him and it's unfair to witch hunt that doctor over one piece of his will. There's no need to hunt that doctor down.

8. [+39, -5] I think it's really important what doctor you end up with. When I went to one hospital, the doctor told me that I had depression and to take medication and whenever I tried to talk about what I was struggling with, they just told me to take my prescription. When I went another hospital, I had a doctor who really tried to listen and relate to me and basically saved my life. I feel so sad for what happened to Jonghyun.

-



Article: Taeyeon writes her condolences to Jonghyun, "You are the best... I won't leave you lonely"

Source: Sports Seoul via Nate

1. [+364, -87] Why does it make me so nervous hearing her say "I won't leave you lonely"...

2. [+203, -15] I remember when Jonghyun was a radio host, Taeyeon was a guest and he chose one song off her album and talked about why he liked it so genuinely and I remember being jealous about her but I realize now that it's because they were so close to each other that they were able to speak so genuinely like that... I understand how upset Taeyeon must be when he was one of her closest friends...

3. [+102, -17] Please protect Taeyeon, it's been a while since she has seemed depressed

4. [+31, -14] "I won't leave you lonely" makes me feel nervous

5. [+17, -5] I think the other SM artists are going to need to be watched over. They were all like family, especially Taeyeon and Yeri, so imagine the shock... Jonghyun-ah, you may not hear us from where you are but I hope you're pursuing music that makes you happy there. Sorry we couldn't protect you, sorry we left you lonely, please be happy.

-



Article: Shin Se Kyung tears up at Jonghyun's funeral parlor

Source: Ilgan Sports via Naver

1. [+6,164, -47] I find her amazing in a way. I remember there were anti cafes when she first started dating Jonghyun... I found them such a fresh, cute couple... so upsetting, this whole thing.

2. [+3,595, -38] She must be so sad ㅠ

3. [+2,693, -22] Ah... breaks my heart

4. [+815, -11] She's a good person for coming... I'm sure Jonghyun-ssi will feel thankful for her visit. I hope there's no one who will judge anything about their friendship.

5. [+651, -9] I'm sure it wasn't easy for her to come... ㅠ

-