Benedict Cumberbatch's greeting in Korea was racist?


Article: Greeting with your hands together in the east? Netizens in debate over Benedict Cumberbatch's greeting

Source: Joongang Ilbo via Nate

1. [+675, -10] GD does this all the time though...

2. [+553, -9] Why is this controversial?

3. [+497, -15] How is this racist?? I don't get it. I get confused with western greetings all the time, especially since it's different in every country, with one where you have to kiss on the cheeks and all.

4. [+31, -1] I see it as a respect towards Asian culture, I don't really see it as problematic.

5. [+23, -3] GD and Bae Yong Joon do this greeting too though

6. [+14, -0] Too many triggered people these days...

7. [+14, -2] This is ridiculous ㅋㅋㅋ how are people this triggered? Dr. Strange originally learned his magic from Asia, didn't he? ㅋㅋㅋ I think he greeted according to his character, enough with the fussing

8. [+14, -2] I can understand if he was confused on what the proper greeting was. Not like we're all educated on the differences between American and European cultures

9. [+13, -0] I think it's great, he looks like Dr. Strange

10. [+11, -0] I think it's fine, what's wrong with this? Who's triggered by it? Christians?

11. [+10, -1] How is this racist? He looks respectful.

12. [+9, -2] He has his hands together with his head in a bow, looks respectful enough to me...

13. [+9, -0] The problem is that westerners have this fantasy about Asia where everyone looks like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan and they see this greeting used in those martial arts movies...... they think it's cool so they just copy it.

-