Article: Girl group Mamamoo under controversy for blackface
Source: YTN via Nate
1. [+363, -60] But they just copied the music video as is, they didn't do anything derogatory while dressed like that. Does dressing like that make it racist too...????
2. [+128, -18] Remember when America had that Starbucks controversy where a barista drew slanted eyes for an Asian customer? It's the same thing. Even if the barista had innocent intentions by just marking a physical trait, it still offended the customer.
3. [+93, -18] Let's say a singer parodies a white singer. Have you ever seen anyone paint their skin white? Nope, right? But painting your skin black to parody a black singer is a problem. Would you feel happy if a white singer painted his face yellow to parody 'Gangnam Style'?
4. [+23, -11] It reminds me of when we thought 'heuk hyung', what we considered a term of endearment for black people, was still offensive to the person hearing it. If someone finds it offensive, you have to stop the action. Mamamoo should definitely apologize and go into reflection for it. I have a lot of relatives who live overseas and they consider blackface a really disrespectful act.
5. [+15, -3] Imagine if white people tried to copy K-Pop by painting their faces yellow, how would you feel? Why don't people paint their faces white when parodying white pop stars? It's a reflection of white superiority.
6. [+10, -5] Apparently Americans have a history of doing blackface as a racist act against black people, so blackface is considered an upsetting part of history and continuing the act is really bad. Koreans have also done it and apologized multiple times over it. It really is something wrong and is definitely considered racist, even if it's just cosplay!
7. [+10, -3] I don't think this is something for Koreans to call right or wrong. If their black fans felt offended by it, then we have to respect that.
8. [+9, -4] Why would they even do this... Mamamoo, their agency, their producers, are they all that dumb? The outfits would've been enough, why go as far as to do blackface?
9. [+7, -1] If black people are offended by it, then it is indeed racist. Just admit fault, apologize, and move on.