Article: "Fans are ATMs?" 'Star of the Universe' drama under controversy for putting down fans
Source: Dispatch via Nate
The drama is about the love affair between a top star and his fan and specific scenes that refer to fans as degrading terms like 'slaves', 'ATMs', 'stupid fangirls', and even sexual comments like "they'll sleep with you without you having to do anything" have come under controversy. One scene in question:
Jo Ina: Why are the drinks taking so long?
CEO: The slave gifts? They'll be coming soon~
CEO: Hey, by the way, you're not dating that slave (fan), are you?
Manager: Ah come on, why would someone date an ATM~
Jo Ina: After all those walls that he's been putting up, looks like his standards are lower than I thought. But then again, I bet if she's just a stupid fangirl, getting her to sleep with you would've been easy. They're so dumb that they'll give you everything without the push and pull, and sleep with you without you having to do anything...
1. [+2,245, -107] It's true, though???? Fans are ATMs??? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ This is fact. These idols buy import cars and houses out of the money you give them
2. [+1,956, -86] Talk about attack of the facts...
3. [+1,770, -100] The fact attack ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Looks like fans are screaming and trembling in anger
4. [+95, -7] The reason you fans are mad is because you were faced with the facts ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
5. [+93, -13] What I find the most hilarious are the ones who call JYJ the slaves of SM and feel bad for them ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ they don't even realize that their parent's combined salary is the equivalent to one event performance for them
6. [+75, -8] Attack of the facts. There's nothing wrong with fans who spend their own earned money but it's always the ones fangirling with their parent's money that I have a problem with
7. [+71, -4] Kids... I think the drama's right though
8. [+64, -2] Realistically, the drama's not wrong... but what changes the situation is how the star feels about their fans. If the star is genuinely grateful, then it's fine, but if the star is like this drama, then that's a problem. It's the same thing with any company that sells a product... if the customer is happy with what they're getting, it's okay, but sometimes these fans act like a cult religion over it.
9. [+52, -2] Fans are mad because the drama isn't wrong and they need to find a retort to explain why the drama's wrong but they can't because it's all true
10. [+38, -1] It's fact, though... while celebrities are making hundreds of thousands of dollars, these young fans are spending their allowance money or money made from their part-time jobs or even money from their parents to do all these fangirl activities. Even adult fans are spending their own salaries to do all this and now they're all made because they're faced with the reality of their actions and they see how pathetic it is. These fans wouldn't be mad if they didn't feel that what they were doing wasn't pathetic but they are because they realize the drama's right ㅋㅋㅋ No matter what they do, these stars are stars and I really don't have a positive view of people who choose to spend money on them. I'm not talking about stuff like going to concerts or fan signings, that's completely normal, but buying them extra presents and collecting money to buy them luxury gifts like bags, watches, cars, and jewelry is just ridiculous.
11. [+37, -0] I understand fans spending money on buying albums and going to concerts but buying them extra gifts is something I'll never get
12. [+30, -1] Stupid fangirls trembling after being attacked by these facts
13. [+27, -0] If fans are even being portrayed in a drama like this, that just means it's the most prevalent view held by all of them about fans. Whenever idols always say "We have a new song out so please give it your love and interest", all I hear is "Please give us money"
Pann: Worst drama ever that made verbal harassment comment about fans
1. [+168, -1] (Screencap: I'm trembling in anger and want to spit at their face)
2. [+161, -1] The worst drama that EXO has ever been cast in. What is the plot anyway? The star is in love with a sasaeng? After all the suffering that EXO has gone through over sasaengs, I wonder what they actually think of the drama
3. [+145, -0] Funny how drama networks use fans to raise their viewer ratings and sucking up all their money and yet they portray them like this, f*ck
4. [+86, -219] Why would you even produce a drama like this? And Suho's such a bad actor, this drama's a flop
5. [+47, -0] F*ck... can't write a comment without a swear
6. [+43, -0] After all that Suho has gone through over sasaengs, I wonder what he was thinking in his head while filming this ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ especially since the drama romanticizes sasaengs... must've sucked
7. [+19, -1] Why are people hating on Suho ㅋㅋㅋ not like he did anything wrong ㅋㅋㅋㅋ
8. [+19, -0] Come on, what are all the fan unions doing? Why stay quiet at a time like this? This is totally leaving a scratch on the hearts of us stupid fangirls
9. [+17, -2] I didn't like how the drama romanticized sasaengs to begin with;; I just want the drama to hurry up with an apology or some feedback;; this drama wouldn't even be getting 1% without Suho in the cast list, f*ck
10. [+13, -0] This drama's trash ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ romanticizing sasaengs and putting down fandoms! ^^
11. [+9, -0] One thing's for sure, the scriptwriter views fans as nothing but ATMs
12. [+6, -2] I can understand the other comments but saying that fans are willing to sleep with you over nothing... are they insane?