Article: American pop star Usher under controversy for rising sun flag
Source: Sports Seoul via Nate
1. [+854, -46] Westerners have no idea at all what the rising sun flag means
2. [+590, -30] This isn't controversial with foreigners, they actually like the rising sun flag. When you watch the olympics or other international leagues, a lot of foreigners can be seen holding the flag, not just the Japanese. Japan commercialized their country in a really smart way and it's something we could learn from.
3. [+498, -34] It's uncomfortable to think about but fact is that rising sun companies like Toyota and Nikon still sell well in our own country as well. Nike's rising sun flag edition sneakers were sold out and no one cared about the rising sun flag being used as stage design either until after the nineties when Japanese Korean relations grew worse and the Dokdo dispute came to light.
4. [+33, -7] I got mad whenever I saw the Nazi symbol being used but after realizing that westerners don't care at all about the sufferings of us Asians, I don't really care about the usage of the Nazi symbol anymore either...
5. [+27, -6] I highly doubt he knew what the flag meant when he put the shirt on
6. [+22, -4] Usher's dumb. Just an idiot who knows nothing but singing and dancing. Doesn't know a thing about the flag of the Japanese kamikaze who killed thousands of American soldiers at Pearl Harbor.
7. [+22, -2] Americans don't care about this stuff... although they'll go mad over the Nazi symbol
8. [+19, -1] It really does take me by surprise how little interest Americans have in the flag being problematic considering their history with Pearl Harbor and all. They lost so many soldiers fighting the Japanese, you would think they'd take an interest in these issues.
9. [+16, -5] Usher, apologize~ even if you didn't know what it meant, apologize~
10. [+13, -0] Koreans can whine all they want, things will never change. Westerners will never see the rising sun flag as something on par with the Nazi symbol.