John Park reveals he got an 800 on his SAT math


Article: John Park, "I got 800 full points on the SAT math portion, I worked hard for it"

Source: X Sports News via Nate

1. [+386, -16] That's quite amazing... and to all those putting him down, it's not like you'd all get max points on a Korean test just because you live in Korea

2. [+316, -87] There are a ton of students from America who excel there but come back to Korea to become nothing... that's how much more advanced Korean students are

3. [+213, -61] The math portion on the SAT is not comparable at all to the math portion on the college entrance exam. There are a ton of Korean high school students who could score max points and above on the SAT if they spoke English and had the financial support to study over there. Any Korean student who goes there for an exchange trip can solve any of the math problems really easily.

4. [+22, -2] I guess all of the commenters here are super smart or something~

5. [+18, -9] Ehh.. I'm super bad at math but even I got 800 points on the SAT. I'd be impressed if he got 800 on the reading but I wouldn't be impressed with an 800 on math. On top of that, I'd be impressed if he got into the University of Chicago but Northwestern isn't all that... Either way, I support John Park because I like him as a person.

6. [+18, -2] Wow, the comments here are hilarious ㅋㅋ trying to make it seem like an 800 on the SAT is nothing to be proud about. Sure the problems might be easier to solve compared to what Korean students are used to but Korean students have their own standards just like American students have their own standards. Are all of you math geniuses?

7. [+13, -2] The SAT math is honestly way easier than the math on the college entrance exam though... getting a max score isn't that hard.

8. [+12, -1] Even American students aren't impressed by a max score on the math SAT. Most of the kids who get into prestigious schools get max scores on math so it's nothing to be so proud about.

9. [+8, -0] I do think that Koreans are at a bit of a higher level in terms of math skill when I see students who get high math scores in Korea get rejected from Korean universities but still make it into Ivy Leagues. I've never seen the SAT myself but it didn't look that hard when I saw the practice questions. What's more important than college admissions is your actual college career though. I heard that the major reason why Korean students struggle in American colleges is because they'll be able to follow along for the first two years but then classes change to lecture style in the last two years and it gets harder for Koreans to keep up.

10. [+8, -1] Within Illinois, the University of Chicago is like the Seoul University of Korea while Northwestern is like Yonsei

-


Source: Naver

1. [+2,646, -51] Looks like he didn't fall asleep in class then

2. [+2,005, -33] He seems like such a clutz on TV that I never took him for the smart type, what a surprise that he's actually studious ㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+1,522, -31] Wow, 800 points out of 800

4. [+442, -6] It's true that the math section of the SAT is easy but I wouldn't say it's easy to get into Northwestern...

5. [+453, -12] I'm studying abroad in America and got 800 on the SAT math... there are a ton of Asian kids who get max points on it. Norhtwestern, however, is a super hard school to get into. I got rejected last year ㅠㅠ

6. [+407, -1] SAT math is easy but he got into Northwestern's economics department, it's a really good school~

7. [+424, -7] John Park is definitely not some easy variety star, he got into Northwestern, a school that's in the top 12 in America

8. [+329, -3] It doesn't matter if us Koreans think the SAT math is easy or not. John Park was born and raised in America so he received an American education, not a Korean education, so maybe he found the math part of the SAT difficult by their standards.

9. [+319, -2] Northwestern's a prestigious school in America... it's elite

10. [+299, -4] Getting an 800 on the SAT math isn't hard but I wouldn't say it's easy either. And for him to have gotten into Northwestern, obviously he excelled in other areas too.

-