[Pann] SM leading the way for EDM in Korea?



Pann: The reason SM has only been putting out EDM albums

Post talks about how some fans have been frustrated with SM constantly putting out EDM albums lately and goes on to explain that one of SM's 2016 plans for the year was an EDM label business where Lee Soo Man explained that he wanted to bring EDM into Korea as a major genre.

1. [+131, -47] There's honestly no agency like SM that tries as hard as they do to advance K-Pop. Most agencies either follow the style SM is doing or touch up a bit on whatever SM has already done. I'm sure people now aren't happy with the style of music SM is pursuing at the moment but there's nothing you can do. Of course taking a foreign genre like EDM and sticking Korean lyrics in it are going to sound unfamiliar and strange at first but I think SM is helping us to broaden our music tastes and I'm sure once enough time passes, EDM will be a more familiar sound to us too...

2. [+112, -23] Lee Soo Man definitely works with the future in plan. He seems to have a good eye for it too. I'm not sure how this EDM project is going to go but I like that SM is always trying new things.

3. [+106, -15] As someone who likes both EDM and ballads, I like this new direction. Unfortunately, Koreans still prefer ballad over EDM but as you all have seen by now, SM doesn't really follow what the public wants, which is why SM artists generally do poorly on the digital charts (for example Tiffany and Luna). I like EDM but I'm aware that it's something that people will either really love or really hate.

4. [+34, -2] I think SM's only able to experiment with stuff like EDM because they have enough power and money to. Most agencies don't have the resources to invest in the future and are too busy supporting the groups that they have now. SM has both the time and resources to work on the future so I know that they're going to be successful with this project too. I really can't imagine how much more SM will continue to grow, they're just in another world compared to other agencies.

5. [+34, -1] But Luna's 'Free Somebody', Jonghyun's 'I Like It', and EXO's 'Lucky One' have great beats. Very new sounding and addictive.

6. [+33, -4] I like house music too. SM definitely does go for experimental things.

7. [+29, -3] I really like Taeyeon's 'Why'. I used to not like EDM but if SM keeps coming out with songs like 'Why', I think I can grow to like it.

8. [+19, -2] It's true that EDM is popular all over the world but not in Korea which is why SM is following what's trending in the world as opposed to our country. People can hate on SM all they want for not catering to what the public wants but they're ultimately following what's trending all over the world and that's EDM. One thing's for sure is that our digital charts are filled with the same genre and I remember being shocked when I first heard SHINee's 'View' last year. I had no idea that I would ever like a song of that genre but SM really did open my eyes to new music and I like that they're slowly leading our country like this. It's not only ballads or tacky dance songs that should be considered music good enough for the charts.

9. [+18, -6] All the people who claim that SM has never been a leader in music must've been born yesterday because SM was the first company to start the concept of idols. Other agencies started producing idols after SM did ㅋㅋㅋ SM has always been at the forefront~

10. [+17, -1] Well SM isn't traditional EDM but I think their version of it is okay in itself. They have several composers on one song too.

-