Article: How do music shows remain so 'powerful' even with only 1% in viewer ratings?
Source: Sports Donga via Nate
1. [+184, -10] To regular viewers, it may seem like groups just come on to perform a song or two before leaving but these groups actually have to be there by early morning and are on standby for an indefinite amount of time until recording and the live broadcast. Then they have to stay for the live just to clap for everyone before leaving. The reason viewer ratings for music shows are so low is because fans don't have to actually watch the show to watch everyone else to wait for their favorite artist to perform. They can just grab a video link after the performance.
2. [+159, -4] The shows may not matter to popular groups but rookies or artists from weaker agencies need to pander to these music shows and it's so sad... They also wait up to 12 hours for these shows just to perform for a couple of minutes on stage. Even then, viewers don't watch anymore because it's easier to watch performance clips on Naver than sit through it all. Furthermore, music shows are heavily based around idols so people who aren't interested in that won't watch.
3. [+106, -3] I just find the entire concept of music shows so boring. Having two MCs try so hard to be funny when they're not at all is annoying.
4. [+17, -0] There used to be ballads and hip hop and dance performances back then... but now it's just the same old sounding songs... ㅠㅠ
5. [+15, -3] SBS Inkigayo is the strangest for me.. they're so biased towards YG, why is that???
6. [+12, -0] Music shows have always been known for abusing their power. Don't want to go on IAC? Well you can kiss your Music Core slot goodbye. If you piss any of them off, you can forget about being able to perform a full three minutes of your song ㅋㅋㅋ I also can't stand the camera work on these shows. Back and forth, swirling around ㅡㅡ Zooming in on the wrong member when someone else is singing... what is the point of having 3-4 rehearsals when they just broadcast the first one anyway... ㅋㅋㅋ
7. [+8, -0] These shows obviously put agencies at a loss but they have no option but to put them on them. I didn't know before but I found out that agencies have to pay for the stage setups too which is why there's such a stark difference in stage quality between all of the groups. That expense on top of all the hair, make up, different outfits for every stage, the fact that outfits are also produced by their own stylists or are luxury brands, on top of the 10+ hours of waiting so you can't schedule other activities...
8. [+8, -2] SM is even more powerful ㅋ Their rookies get the best recording schedule and get to perform two songs while other nugu agencies have to be there by early morning just to wait around to perform a 2 minute song.
9. [+8, -0] No one watches unless you're a fan. Poor sound quality and the camera work is head ache inducing.
10. [+8, -0] Video uploading has become so much faster that you can pick and choose who you want to watch right after the show so there's no reason to watch the live broadcast