Article: Upcoming American Hollywood movies under controversy for 'white washing'
Source: Yonhap News via Naver
1. [+208, -8] What's the point of casting a Japanese for 'Ghost in the Shell' Kusanagi when the original character's physical specs are that of a foreigner's ㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+234, -20] The Japanese are the ones who draw their characters to look western, why are they expecting Asian actors to be cast for them ㅋㅋㅋ and movies are ultimately a product that is being sold so they have to go with actors who will garner them the most success. It's better for them to go with more famous actors in America.
3. [+162, -3] Isn't the movie '300' the worst offender of this? They turned all the Greeks into Northern European blonde white people ㅋㅋ
4. [+104, -9] I don't think there's a Japanese actor who can even pull off Kusanagi
5. [+83, -7] But if it's being produced by a white country, then you can't help the movie ending up white washed... There's a lot of talk about black and white tension in America but black people only make up about 10% of the American population and a lot of them live together in specific states so it looks like there are a lot more than there are. It's not like there are Korean produced movies where a black person or South East Asian is the lead character, right?
6. [+16, -0] Well movies are produced to make money but I hope people realize that it's harder for Asian actors to make it to the top the less they're cast for movies... And there are also a lot of movies with popular white actors that have flopped. The industry itself just seems conservative...
7. [+15, -0] There are no top Asian actors because they never cast Asians... it's just a bad, endless cycle.
8. [+9, -0] If the Americans can't find an Asian actor to fulfill the roles, then they shouldn't be turning these original works into movies. What's the point of going out of your way by taking a work with Asian leads and white washing it?