A number of issues regarding the drama have been exposed to the media. Sunkki, the original webtoon writer, revealed that she had asked the producers of the drama to make the ending differently from her own to avoid spoilers since her webtoon is still ongoing. The producers, however, did not listen and Sunkki found that the ending was far too similar to her own. Furthermore, a script was leaked that showed large chunks of Yoo Jung's lines completely cut from the original scenes, making people question why the drama is taking the direction it is.
Article: 'Cheese' original writer pleas, "Please avoid spoiling the original work"
Source: TV Report via Naver
1. [+4,613, -53] Is it right to treat the original writer as poorly as tvN is now?? If this is a dramatization of an original work, they should be working in cooperation with the original writer... how dare they do this to her? And even having the balls to spoil the ending of the original work too? So shameless
2. [+5,096, -507] At this point, the producers need to stop giving excuses and clarify what's going on. Why did the male lead change, why was Park Hae Jin never informed about the cast vacation, why was Seo Kang Joon given permission to change his lines however he wanted?
3. [+1,095, -47] The funniest part is that the producers destroyed the original work by trying to fit all of the scenes onto one character but that character is even being rejected by fans of the original character. This has to be the most psycho decision making drama I've ever seen...
Article: [Exclusive] A comparison of the original script for 'Cheese' versus the broadcast 'cut cut'
Source: Ilgan Sports via Nate
1. [+1,357, -26] Park Hae Jin expressed his anger, the original writer expressed her anger... all we need is the scriptwriter to express her anger over why her own script was cut like this and the director is completely screwed ㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+1,009, -47] I didn't even think a 16 episode drama could fulfill the original webtoon considering how long it is... It needs to be cut into seasons for it to even fit all of the emotion in the original work.
3. [+833, -10] I will never understand why Park Hae Jin's scenes were cut out like this. All of the scenes cut from the script were all centered around the emotional issues between Yoo Jung and Hong Seol which are pivotal to the plot. Instead they were all given to Inho and furthermore, Park Hae Jin's recorded scenes were discarded for Seo Kang Joon to re-record and make his own. The producers then promised the original writer that they would do as she asked and then did the complete opposite by stealing her ending... no wonder viewers and fans of the original work are up in arms over this. tvN needs to clean this up properly.
Article: 'Cheese' gets lost in the mountains... producers + original writer + cast in turmoil
Source: Yonhap News via Naver
1. [+23,327, -996] I could not have been happier with the drama at first but starting from the middle, it was completely biased towards Inho's perspective and all of Yoo Jung's lines were changed and cut and given away and the drama has become a mess now. I'd like to praise Park Hae Jin for not running from this drama mid-shoot and recording everything until the end. I will never in my life watch another drama by Lee Yoon Jung again.
2. [+21,263, -616] Park Hae Jin turned down the role of Yoo Jung multiple times until the producers got him to accept it. Why did they make him take it if they were going to treat him like this? They cut his scenes down and even throw out the scenes he's already shot and turned his character into a complete psychopath and never even gave him notice of the cast's vacation trip at the end... Park Hae Jin does not deserve to be treated like this by a bunch of pathetic producers as them.
3. [+4,139, -77] Park Hae Jin promoted this drama all on his own only for it to get lost in the mountains like this ㅋㅋㅋ I will never watch another drama by Lee Yoon Jung PD ㅡㅡ
4. [+3,718, -66] I just don't understand why the PD would throw out the scenes already recorded by Park Hae Jin... ㅡㅡ I really wish I never started this drama, it's cancer
5. [+3,606, -72] I don't care about anything else anymore, I just want the producers to apologize to Park Hae Jin. He didn't even want to do this drama and rejected it but they made him do it.
Article: [Direct Interview] 'Cheese' Lee Yoon Jung PD, "Not now... I'll speak up later"
Source: Ilgan Sports via Nate
1. [+1,113, -35] How can a PD say that?
2. [+1,112, -39] The PD has to be Seo Kang Joon's fan... that's probably why she cut everything else but his scenes out
3. [+861, -26] Did she get the idea for Seol's hair from her own ㅋㅋ
4. [+175, -3] Park Hae Jin's agency said: "What we don't understand is why the producer felt the need to delete scenes that Park Hae Jin had already filmed. We noticed that none of Yoo Jung's most important scenes were included in the final episodes. We were strongly opposed to the current plot of the drama but they didn't accept our opposal at all. Park Hae Jin was forced to attend so many schedules for the drama from promotions to international events."
5. [+138, -1] This isn't the first time this PD has done something like this. In 'Triple', she suddenly got obsessed with the supporting male and screwed the lead male Lee Jung Jae over. All of the media play and promotions used Lee Jung Jae but the supporting character got all the screentime.
6. [+114, -1] So many useless scenes of Baek Inho. Baek Inho staring at Yoo Jung and Seol's couple scenes, Baek Inho doing push ups at home alone, Baek Inho getting a loan consultation at the bank when he doesn't even have a job, Baek Inho walking around Hongdae, Baek Inho doing the dishes, Baek Inho going out to throw the trash, a day in the life of Baek Inho... you could cut out half these scenes and still make room for the Yoo Jung scenes she deleted.
7. [+100, -1] This is so irresponsible of her...
8. [+88, -5] What a weird person...
9. [+84, -1] Maybe she never told Park Hae Jin about the cast's vacation trip so she could be with Seo Kang Joon all alone
10. [+83, -1] Park Hae Jin had to pull all the labor for this drama only for Seo Kang Joon to reap the glory of screentime... poor Seo Kang Joon, all he did was work hard according to what he was told but his character gets all this hate now..