Article: Women are disappearing from TV
Source: Lady Kyunghyang via Naver
1. [+2,898, -173] Gagwomen like Jang Doyeon, Park Narae, and Lee Guk Joo are funny but they're unfortunately only ever brought on as guests
2. [+1,736, -136] Please create more new shows that can have female MCs~
3. [+1,124, -161] I think that gagwomen being less willing to use their wits or do body gags has a lot to do with it too
4. [+639, -16] It is getting pretty bad considering Song Ji Hyo is the only fixed female cast member out of all the Sunday varieties
5. [+720, -81] I don't get the argument that casts are male dominated because the viewers are mostly women and women prefer male casts... MCs like Jang Dong Min and Kim Gura are not liked by women, mostly men ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
6. [+240, -7] I think shows like 'Superman' and 'Oh My Baby' need to have men show the "real sides" of parenting... none of the stuff like laundry, making food, or cleaning is ever showed. The men are always off taking their kids to parks and having guests over. Parenting is not all about fun.
7. [+191, -21] Because women get hate for every little thing they do ㅋ Imagine if a female MC had MC'd the way Jun Hyun Moo does, she would've been taken off every show already
8. [+153, -9] I don't think they've disappeared considering I've never even seen female MCs in main positions in the first place
9. [+165, -14] Because the biggest reason is that once viewers see a female MC that they don't see fits their standards of what society thinks a woman should be, she's immediately taken down. There are so many more things expected of women than men.
10. [+192, -33] Women on TV are expected to either be super pretty or be super talented (in variety, acting, or singing). They're judged to the extreme and are held to stricter standards. Our society is male dominated so people expect to see men in positions of power so when they see a woman in a main position, it looks out of place and unnatural so people start applying stricter standards to her to justify why she's allowed to be there. Women constantly have to prove that they deserve their positions.
11. [+114, -17] It's why I watch more foreign dramas instead of Korean varieties. I'm so sick of male dominated variety shows. I watch 'Running Man' for Song Ji Hyo and 'Infinity Challenge' once in a while but the roles given to women in varieties and movies are so pathetic. Why don't we ever have super strong female antagonists in movies? Women are only ever used as accessories or a pretty face, it's so frustrating.
12. [+110, -16] Because people still think that women "have to be a certain way" and anyone who doesn't live up to that is out
13. [+69, -3] Sayuri also said that she was cut from a show for rejecting sexual favors... Sayuri was really popular back then too but I don't see her lately other than on 'Real Men'.
14. [+67, -7] Please give us more female varieties...
15. [+40, -4] Come to think of it, the only female stars I remember seeing on varieties were either idols or fitness trainers... no wonder people think women on varieties are boring. I've been watching actual gagwomen lately and they're so funny.