Article: "5 year old Zeze is sexy?"... IU's new track under controversy for sexual interpretation
Source: Dispatch via Naver
The Korean publishing company for the book 'My Sweet Orange Tree' wrote a Facebook post saying <"IU-nim, Zeze is not the child you interpreted him as"> and expressed three points that they were upset with, the first being IU's interview, her lyrics, and Zeze's drawing in her album jacket cover.
They were displeased that used the term 'sexy' and explained, "Zeze is a 5 year old child who has pain within him due to child abuse. We're not sure if 'cunning' and 'dirty' is the proper way to describe him through Minguinho, Zeze's only friend who gives him warmth and consolation. The book is an autobiography of the author and is dedicated to many of the Zeze's out there in the world who are being abused today still. How can she judge a piece of work with such an intent in this way?"
On the depiction of Zeze in the album jacket picture, the rep said, "The fact that Zeze is wearing fishnet stockings and posing in that way...... Of course, there is freedom to interpreting creations. But we're not sure if sexualizing a 5 year old child going through the pain of abuse is something we can agree with. The freedom of expression, however, happens under the approval of the public."
1. [+8,260, -274] This is how IU always is. She keeps her mouth shut when opinions turn against her. She was exactly like this during Eunhyuk's scandal. Kept her mouth shut and acted like nothing was happening until it was swept under the rug. Fans always say she's known for being a celebrity who communicates well but she hides in the face of scandals like this~
2. [+4,252, -180] If only she never said she produced the entire album from composing to writing the songs, I doubt the controversy would've brewed to where it is now. She responded so quickly to her dating rumors, why is she staying quiet on issues like this? She needs to give a clear explanation on her lyrics to Zeze and her lolita concept.
3. [+3,593, -134] Zeze is a 5 year old child, the same age as Minyul from 'Dad! Where are you going?' So when Minyul was trying hard not to lose in a game, her interpretation is the same as saying Minyul was cunning and sexy in the way that he tried. Zeze is also a victim of domestic abuse. He's been exposed to violence and doesn't know right from wrong, how could she interpret his words and actions as cunning? With her logic, she would be understanding of Go Young Wook too.
4. [+3,489, -164] Please don't mess with minors
5. [+3,080, -172] This controversy is going to cause a big drop in her image...
6. [+1,636, -34] Just what exactly is in IU's head that she interpreted a 5 year old victim of child abuse as sexy? That is not an interpretation but an error, an error that stems from her own wrong sense of values. 5 year old Zeze is not a fictional character but a reflection of the writer's childhood. He wrote this book in dedication to all of the Zeze's of the world. I cried all night after reading that book. How dare IU interpret this book in such a manner? As a fan of Zeze, I have no idea what IU was thinking. Please, don't you dare call this your art.
7. [+1,400, -36] Exactly what type of mind do you have to have to see a 5 year old child as sexy?
8. [+1,376, -28] This is such an embarrassing;; I don't know what she was thinking while writing such sexual lyrics about a 5 year old child. As if her sucking on a milk bottle in her music video wasn't shocking enough, and now all this with her media play claiming she produced the entire album herself, tsk tsk.
9. [+1,336, -80] If a male singer had done this concept with the little match girl, he would've been exiled from the industry and possibly even taken before the law. ㅋㅋㅋ Korea is so lax when it comes to the sexual expression of women.
10. [+1,249, -32] Even Dispatch is getting involved in this... this is wrong, and she needs to admit that it's wrong.
1. [+602, -11] Think of it on the contrary. If a male singer had described the little match girl as a lonely but determined and sexy character and wrote lyrics sexualizing her saying "Girl, girl, you're lonely but strong. Brighten up my darkness. Set fire to my match. Don't blow. My light is weak and might turn off. Treat me lightly. Lighten up this darkness." He would've been exiled. There are tons of characters in books that show double sides. Of all of them, why did she choose a victim of child abuse? And to approach it in a sexual interpretation? She needs to apologize for this.
2. [+518, -7] Even the publication company of the book wrote a post about it... but will IU ever respond? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ But of course she'll keep quiet and wait for it to be swept under the rug so that when she has her next comeback, she'll write on her fancafe saying "My fans had a hard time right?" ㅋㅋㅋ
3. [+424, -11] The ministry of family and women's rights would be all over this already if it was a male singer
4. [+42, -0] She might need psychological treatment
5. [+41, -1] I don't know what more to say other than that she is sly. 'Red Shoes' plagiarism, Eunhyuk's picture leak, 'Leon' plagiarism, another plagiarism scandal. Amazing how she managed to get out of each scandal without so much as an apology. Furthermore, her fans praise her for being a singer songwriter prodigy artist...
6. [+38, -0] Anyone who's actually read the book couldn't possibly write lyrics like she did
7. [+27, -0] This seems to be her unluckiest year
8. [+27, -2] This is what happens when you're dumb but try to act smarter than you are
Article: Publishing company reps, "We don't expect an apology from IU... we just wanted to get the story straight" [official statement]
Source: OSEN via Naver
1. [+19,989, -68] Sometimes admitting to your mistake and asking for understanding and forgiveness is the best way possible
2. [+23,489, -94] Anyone who's actually read the book will understand how dangerous her interpretation is. Zeze is not just a young child. He's a victim of child abuse from an impoverished family. It's cruel to sing such lyrics to a child like that.
3. [+16,150, -123] I don't get how IU could've thought that about young Zeze. She acts like an artist all the time and media plays all of her articles on the main page but of course she's quiet at times like this ㅎㅎㅎ
4. [+738, -18] It's important to get the story straight... the author is dead, it's the publisher's job to make sure the story is straight.
5. [+734, -39] Even I'm upset, can't imagine how the publisher's feeling... IU needs to stop thinking so sexually. Just because you have dirty thoughts doesn't mean everyone else does.