[Pann] 'Abnormal Summit' views on Korea's plastic surgery issue

Pann: The culture of plastic surgery in Korea observed by the members of 'Abnormal Summit'

Daniel (Australia):
When asked what he didn't understand while living in Korea, he replied, "Plastic surgery. When I go to Gangnam, I notice that one out of every five I see has had surgery. I didn't notice it at first but I can tell right away now. Korean women can't have noses that look like that. In Australia, if you're ugly, people tend to dress stylishly or lose weight or change up their hair styles but they don't get plastic surgery. Koreans think that you have to be pretty or handsome to be successful and be respected by others. Australians look at what's inside the person and not so much on the physical traits. I was rarely called handsome in Australia but heard it for the first time in Korea."

Zhang Yuan (China):
When asked how he views Korean women as a foreign male, "Chinese men think Korean women are really beautiful. But lately, I think they've been getting too much plastic surgery. I wish they'd focus on what's on the inside than their looks. They're beautiful as they are."

Sam Okyere (Ghana):
"I truly think Korea is the empire of plastic surgery. Surgery here, surgery there, everyone's a plastic beauty. I honestly wonder how many Korean women haven't gotten a small procedure or a filler shot. They're pretty as they are. I used to think that Korean women were the most beautiful in Asia but nowadays, those thoughts are of the past because their features look so unnatural."

Guillaume Patry (Canada):
"I find Korean women to be the most beautiful in the world. In Canada, women don't tend to focus on fashion on but Korean women do so it looks nice. I consider plastic surgery as a type of self management. It's great if you become prettier through surgery. If my own girlfriend got work done? I'd be fine with it if she became prettier. Wouldn't all men think the same? But if she was beautiful already, I'd probably hold her back. For example, if she wanted to get her breasts augmented but they were already nice, I'd tell her that she didn't need it."

Alberto Mondi (Italy):
"It's true, (Korean women) care a lot about their looks and get a lot of work done. But I think that women tend dress themselves up to look pretty among other women and not for men. If they are getting surgery to look better for men, I'd like to tell them that they have it all wrong. Men see 90% of a person's charms. Charms and looks are different. I say this cautiously but in the eyes of foreign men, those who've had work done look similar to one another."

Tyler Rasch (America):
"Unlike America, Koreans require you to submit your picture for job applications and filter potential employees that way. Your looks can basically hinder you. This is basically the same as society forcing you to get plastic surgery done when you don't need it."

Takuya Terada (Japan):
When asked what he would do if his girlfriendw anted plastic surgery, "I don't feel charms in an unnatural face. I'd definitely hold her back."

-

1. [+166, -1] Let's all leave the country

2. [+114, -9] I heard that in foreign countries, having a small face gets you made fun of ㅠㅠㅠ and having a big face gets you praised because it means you're smart ㅠㅠㅠㅠ (packs my bags)

3. [+62, -5] Before you blame women for getting plastic surgery, how about you blame the culture that forces it... Employment looks at women's looks right off the bat ㅋㅋ idols need to be pretty to succeed... male actors can land jobs based off of talent without needing to be handsome but it's the opposite for women... Our country treats people differently right from childhood..

4. [+56, -4] Who actually gets plastic surgery because they like it. We all notice that people get treated differently right from junior/high school.. Pretty and handsome students get treated better, which makes kids begin to think, "If only I was prettier... if only I was more handsome..." then they get work done and gain some confidence and self esteem. Stop blaming this on Korean women! That's not the issue here. It's a difference in culture. Before people go around blaming women, they should try to understand the differences in culture and start to realize the need for change.

5. [+41, -1] The thing is, even if these men talk like this, it's not like their own cultures don't consider beauty. The whole world judges people based on appearances. Haven't you seen the hidden camera tests around the internet? In America or Australia, they had a female anchorwoman dress up in a fat suit and go around town and she was ridiculed by men in a harsher way than Korean men. The difference is that Western countries value individual rights and people can file lawsuits so people won't point it out to your face. It's wrong of us to assume that other countries treat the standards of beauty differently. People are all the same, just with minor differences.

6. [+36, -0] Even as a woman, I think being uglier is better than being a plastic surgery monster... If I had to choose between Lee Soo Hyun and Park Bom, I'd choose Lee Soo Hyun. Seriously.

7. [+34, -3] They're all lying for the sake of the show. Look at Enes. Women, don't misunderstand. If you're ugly, you're going to be treated like crap even in another country. You think an ugly Korean women will become a goddess in another country? As if.

8. [+26, -0] I don't think it's that foreign countries don't care about beauty... it's just that the standards are less rigid than Korea's. In Korea, you HAVE to be size 44 or else!! but in foreign countries, they value your beauty according to being small, thin, big, or chubby. You don't just have to be one specific body type.

-