[Pann] Update on the bullies who led to a high school student's suicide


Pann: Update on the Daegu high school student who commit suicide

High school freshman Kim (16) was last spotted on the elevator leading to the 15th floor of his apartment where he eventually jumped to his death on June 2012. The CCTV on the elevator recorded him hugging his knees on the floor, crying while saying, "I want to live... I don't want to die... Someone please hold my hand." Seven and a half hours later, he killed himself.

He left behind a letter that explained how he was bullied. Classmates would hit him if he made the smallest mistake and forced him to do whatever they asked of him. "Today they asked me to come out and play soccer but I was beat up instead for being a few minutes late. When I tried to explain why I was late, I was hit even more."


His father discovered texts from his bullies that showed that he had been tormented for three years. The texts had said, "You're going to be beat up so hard today", "Looks like you're not feeling well because we haven't been beating you enough lately", "You're dead tomorrow", "Buy me that Beanpole jacket like I told you to", "Do you want to be beat for 50 minutes or do 15 pages of my homework", and "From now until 3 AM, you better tell me what you're up to every 20 minutes."


Another CCTV at a PC room showed Kim standing off to the side holding a soccer ball while the rest of his friends played on computers.


Kim took two hours to finally decide upon committing suicide after exiting this elevator.

The bullies only admitted to five instances of 'light beating' over the three years along with 'your average tormenting' and stealing his clothes and money.

One of the bully's mothers refused that he be investigated because he was too nervous. He is currently hospitalized.



Kim's father said, "In January, I remember my son getting hit by a friend and his ear drum ripping but I didn't think severely of it and forgave him after receiving compensation for treatment. But after checking my dead son's phone, I could find evidence that he was habitually abused." Kim's homeroom teacher said, "Kim always ranked at the top of the class and had good relationships with his classmates."

On the day of the trial:

Bully A was sentenced to two years of prison. Bully B was sentenced to a year and six months. As of 2014, the two have completed their jail time and are back to living in society just fine.


In Kim's last letter titled "To everyone I love", "I think it will be difficult to live any longer.... mom, dad, whether it be 10 years, 100 years, or 1,000 years, I'll always be waiting for you and watching over you. I'll be there waiting for you first. I'm sorry mom, I love you."

-

1. [+373, -1] I'm so pissed realizing that they probably are starting fresh new lives now ㅠㅠ I feel so bad for the dead ㄴ셩둣

2. [+283, -2] This really makes me tear up, I hope he's resting peacefully in a warm place

3. [+274, -1] This is so ridiculous, screw those bullies

4. [+34, -0] My heart breaks so, so much.. I can't even imagine how he must've felt as he got on that elevator and decided upon his death.. He even looks like my younger brother from the back. A precious life was lost to suicide, the law should be harsher on the bullies but they practically hit them with cotton. Rest peacefully, I'll pray for your happiness.

5. [+33, -0] Can we please reveal the identities of the bullies... f*ck, I'm so mad

6. [+27, -0] If only someone got on that elevator that day... if only someone saw that crying kid and asked him what was wrong, held his hand, listened to his story... things could've happened differently ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

7. [+26, -0] I cannot believe the bullies are out of jail already

8. [+24, -0] Our law is hopeless

9. [+19, -0] What's so fu*ked up about this every time is that the bullies always make it back out into society. That Im Hyung Woo or whatever on 'Superstar K' burned cigarettes onto kids and sexually abused a girl but all he has to do is squeeze out a few tear drops on TV and act like he's grown up now and get praise for his good singing. How would the victims feel seeing all of this? Listening to stupid fangirls defend him and call him nice?

10. [+14, -0] Just got goosebumps thinking that the kids are out of jail now and could probably even be sitting next to me now that they're back in society

-