Public's changing views on fandom culture


Article: From 'fangirl' to 'Star Baragi'... fandoms come to the TV

Source:
Sports Korea via Naver

Article talks about the growth of fandoms over the years, like how they've moved away from crazy attention-seeking antics and expensive fan gifts to charity/volunteer work, donating to causes, etc.

Also talks about the new TV show 'Star Baragi' where longtime fans of stars offer their point of views.

PD said, "Fandoms are a culture that every generation, from children to adults, can connect with."

"There are a lot of new hobbies that didn't exist before. Fans have so many ways to be happy. If your life is happy because of a star, then it's something meaningful. There are a lot of extremes with fandoms but there are also positive aspects. In the past, being a fan wasn't something to be proud of it but recently, people have been showing it off more."

-

1. [+1,339, -51] Most fans don't let their love for their stars get in the way of their life responsibilities. The fans I know around me will cut themselves off from fan activity around test time and a high school senior I know won't even look at her star's face until she takes her college exam. She says she'd rather he just go to the army now. Most people think fans are like sasaengs but people know where the line is and do their own thing.

2. [+1,189, -288] But you have to admit that fangirls are still a problem. It's been quiet for a while until EXO fangirls started up with the disrespectful antics.

3. [+861, -79] I just don't like how fangirls are looked at like trash when there are more fans who aren't disrespectful ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+687, -62] I like the show a lot, actually. I want the idols who used to be popular back in the day on it as well!

5. [+149, -14] Take out the sasaeng fans and fandom culture is generally positive

6. [+139, -14] As a high school senior, I'm spending my days without depression thanks to Big Bang ㅋㅋ It's already hard enough as it is but seeing them sometimes during the weekends gives me strength and motivation... and they're helping me out by not having their comebacks ㅋㅋㅋ I'd consider fangirling a type of hobby.. and most of the time, I don't know where to donate for causes but I can rest assured that my money is going to good places when I donate to a fanpage.

7. [+120, -13] People shouldn't hate on the show before watching it. The fans are not stupid fangirls from recent idol groups but fans who have been with the stars for a long time and even have grabbed drinks with them ㅋㅋㅋ

8. [+93, -15] I'd say that the disrespectful fans you see all the time are actually antis hidden in disguise

-