A bit of background info: Yoo Seung Jun was a super, super, super popular solo male artist back in the 90s - probably more popular than current acts like Rain. Around the time of his enlistment, he did a lot of commercials encouraging other young males to enlist early and really played a part in glamorizing his enlistment. Before he officially enlisted, however, he went to America and dropped his Korean citizenship to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, thereby exempting him from army service. The Korean government was pissed off that he deserted the country like that and deported him, permanently banning him from ever coming back. He's since made somewhat of a career in China, I believe, but generally steered clear from Korean media until the MAMA...
So you can see why his appearance at the MAMA was quite controversial.
Article: Yoo Seung Jun to "attend the MAMA" will he appear on Korean TV?
Source: StarIn via Nate
1. [+897, -503] Just because time passed does not mean his disgusting actions have been amended. If you still remember your past, you could never even dream of coming back to Korea. Your past is who you are.
2. [+796, -432] Is he trying to act like the senior to our artists after evading service? He's not even a Korean man anymore. I hope all of our rookies go and run him to the ground.
3. [+772, -437] Son of a b1tch, betrayer, I never want to see his face again
Article: 'MAMA' Yoo Seung Jun on the red carpet with Jackie Chan... 'hardened facial expression'
Source: OSEN via Nate
1. [+600, -251] His name is Steven Yoo, why is the article calling him Yoo Seung Jun???
2. [+551, -237] Yoo Seung Jun was amazing in the 90s... Seriously.. If only he didn't evade service... Disappointing, but a memorable singer nontheless..
3. [+535, -255] He's the ba$tard that said he'd go to the army and ended up copping out by throwing away his Korean citizenship
Article: Yoo Seung Jun "The celebrities at MAMA hugged me"
Source: OSEN via Nate
1. [+347, -76] People have to know the truth about this ba$tard!! This Steven Yoo b1tch isn't simply being hated on because he didn't go to the army. He's the one that said on TV every single day that a Korean man must go to the army. The government believed in him and even appointed him the honorary ambassador for the army. Then when he had to go to America for something, the government specifically asked him if he was going to go to the army after coming back and he said yes, he will no matter what, and to trust him. The government trusted him and let him go (TN: normally, you're not allowed to leave the country once your enlistment is set) and the minute he leaves, he gives up his Korean citizenship. Of course the government's pissed! Of course they ban him from entering the country!
2. [+308, -81] He betrayed the entire country. 10 years is not enough to forgive his crime. I have no idea why we have to forgive him when he himself refuses to be a Korean citizen.
3. [+264, -51] Why does the Korean media keep writing articles about a ba$tard that betrayed the Korean government?