Japanese and Korean young adults are increasingly becoming wary of dating

xmas accessories aimed at gifting to yourself as an act of self-love

Article: Japanese in their 20s/30s aren't even dating... and Korea is not far behind

Source: Newsis via Naver

1. [+643, -31] I used to date around a lot but I'm tired of it now. The idea of a man being "responsible for his woman" is a thing of the past. Now that I think about it, the feminist movement has helped free men from the weight of societal expectations.

2. [+323, -13] I see this on TV shows and commercials as well... "A gift for myself"... "Healing myself"... Everything has become about me, the individual. No longer are things or experiences advertised as for others, to do together.. Society has become so crushing, so competitive, and it makes me feel bitter that we can't help but turn inwards like this.

3. [+125, -12] As with any community, those who want to continue to date will do so and those who are getting left behind will get left behind. No point in arguing whether this is the fault of feminists or 'Han-nams' like fight instigators want you to think ㅋㅋ

4. [+54, -0] Relationships and marriages require being considerate of another person and holding back on your own wants and needs... and nowadays, I think more and more people are wondering to themselves, "Why should I have to do that?"

5. [+40, -3] The newer generation of 20s/30s is just smarter. Dating. Marriage. It's nothing special.

6. [+43, -7] I think the parents of the 20s/30s generation have a lot to do with their distaste towards marriage. Their parents drove into their minds that you can't marry someone unless they're rich ㅋㅋㅋ how many men out there can actually satisfy those standards? ㅋㅋㅋ And parents will definitely block you from trying to marry anyone who doesn't meet their financial standards.

7. [+34, -0] Men aren't dating because they don't have money, and women aren't dating because there aren't enough men who have that kind of money. Women have also realized that life is easier on their own. 

8. [+33, -2] The media makes it seem like Japan's isolation problem is worse than ours but don't kid yourselves, our stats are way worse. At least their birth rate is 1.2-1.3, ours is 0.7 and declining. Not even comparable. All that's awaiting our country is extinction. In 50 years, 70 out of 100 Koreans will be considered elderly, and let's just see how we can ever survive that ^^

9. [+27, -2] And yet Japan still has a higher birth rate than Korea. Discussion over.

10. [+25, -0] Even a lot of the TV shows lately depict the solo life as the best life.. and how difficult child-rearing is. 'Misaeng' showed the difficulties a woman in the workforce faces as a mother, and society still hasn't provided a solution for those struggles. With how competitive our school system is, I can already see ahead of me what a difficult life awaits my child if they end up just average. We also need to improve our sex education with our youth. Hiding it away and closing their eyes to it won't properly educate them.

11. [+21, -1] Those who want to date are clearly dating just fine

12. [+21, -5] Well, then maybe get rid of shows like 'I Live Alone' and just run documentaries on how the youth and elderly are dying sad deaths alone instead

13. [+16, -2] We've become a country that raises dogs but not children

14. [+14, -0] All this angry debate about 'Han-nams' or feminists aside, I'll admit that being alone makes life a lot easier. I get a lot more free time to myself on the weekends as well.

15. [+12, -0] I'd rather just spend the money I earn on myself

-