'Pachinko' praised for accurate historical portrayal of different languages and dialects

Article: From English, Japanese, to Jeju saturi... who translated American drama 'Pachinko'?

Source: Kyunghyang News via Naver

1. [+520, -7] Wow... I remember watching the first episode and thinking how seamless everything felt even with all of the different languages mixed in. I now realize it's thanks to the efforts of the translator.. amazing.

2. [+209, -15] Thank you for telling this story. It may be a painful past to our people but it's ironically an opportunity to finally get to tell our story to the world and not the falsified version told by the Japanese. I hope that these stories are used to produce more movies and dramas to be told to people all over the world.

3. [+118, -6] Sunja's saturi was absolutely perfect when she was talking in front of the shaman

4. [+49, -0] There are a lot of movies about the horrors of the Nazi so I'm glad that there's finally a piece of content that shows the horrors Koreans faced at the hands of the Japanese. Japan has done such terrible things, it pisses me off that their country is so glamorized in modern times...

5. [+37, -0] I'm a woman in her forties from Busan. My grandmother used to be a Jeju Haenyeo so I'm able to understand a bit of their dialect even if I'm not fluent in it myself. I could tell that the Jeju saturi used in the drama was the result of a lot of historical research. 'Pachinko' gave me a glimpse into my grandmother's childhood and a better understanding of who she is as a person. 

6. [+14, -0] I'm from Kyungsangdo myself... and I really though Sunja must be from Busan with how fluent her Busan saturi sounded.. but she's actually from Seoul! There's really no explanation for her fluency other than that she must've practiced like crazy.

7. [+14, -5] Japan spent so much money trying to erase their heinous crimes from the world... and America just exposed it all to the world in one fell swoop like this. The power of culture. 

8. [+10, -3] Everything about this drama is beautiful. From the script to the cinematography and all.

9. [+6, -0] This drama just makes my heart ache even though it's not a tearjerker or anything... just this ache the entire time watching ㅠㅠ

10. [+5, -0] The drama is a masterpiece. It has meaning, history, and fun. So tastefully done. Even American netizens are calling it amazing and elegantly done and demanding that the Japanese correct their history.

11. [+4, -0] I read both the book and am watching the drama but the drama definitely pulls at your heartstrings harder. The actors' saturis make them feel like natives. The beautiful cinematography and the modern senses really warm up my heart.

12. [+4, -0] This drama has been more historically educational than any textbook

-