More and more Koreans enjoy being 'alone'


Article: [Society] More people become experts at 'ostracizing themselves'

Source: Weekly Donga via Naver

With living alone shows like 'I Live Alone' hitting #1 in viewer ratings, many Koreans are also enjoying the solo life and aren't afraid to go out to eat, watch movies, take walks/ride bikes, spend time with pets, and enjoy sports activities alone. Surveys have also shown that the sales for 'one person' furniture have gone up 8.4%, and continue to grow by the year.

-

1. [+17,715, -162] There are many times where being alone is more comfortable

2. [+14,947, -214] Please don't look down on people who prefer to do things alone. They all have friends and fit in with society just fine. They just don't want to be confined to their room alone anymore.

3. [+11,567, -252] You enter life alone and leave alone anyway but Koreans are too community-minded that if someone is seen eating alone, people automatically assume that person is ostracized from his friends and doesn't fit in

4. [+10,802, -105] Once you start caring about what other people think of you, you won't be able to do anything

5. [+1,730, -24] Something as common overseas as eating out alone turns into an issue of bullying and not fitting in with your friends in Korea

6. [+1,703, -14] I don't know why people assume you don't have friends to fit in with if you're seen alone

7. [+1,450, -24] Now that I'm in college, it's hard to make friends as an introvert so I hang out by myself usually and it's really comfortable

8. [+1,434, -22] That's me! I like being alone and it's more comfortable and fun. I wish people would stop forcing young adults to always be out with friends and drinking. Sometimes that type of lifestyle just isn't for you.

9. [+1,150, -10] I know some people won't understand but it sometimes really is easier being alone ㅋㅋ

10. [+1,122, -9] Stop using the word ostracized~ just use the word alone.

11. [+1,109, -23] I used to be really depressed when I never even got one text or call before and wondered if I was living life wrong because I didn't have many friends but after I just accepted it, it has become easier to enjoy life and live for myself.

12. [+815, -16] I hate how the article title is 'voluntarily ostracized'... just because you like being alone doesn't mean you're some social miscast who can't fit in anywhere. Sigh.

-