America's tipping culture


Article: $3 tip for a $4 coffee? People disgruntled over America's 'tip culture'

Source: SBS via Nate

1. [+403, -9] I feel like those businesses are forcing the customers to pay what they need to be paying the servers

2. [+343, -3] Tips should just be that, tips... if it crosses 10% of your bill, how is that any different from a tax?

3. [+322, -11] I could never understand tip cultures like that. Why should they get a tip when they get paid for working by their own boss?

4. [+21, -1] I'm glad that Korea and Japan don't have tip cultures when I read things like this. Servers get paid anyway, why should they get tips on top of that? I used to think tips were just something you gave if you felt like it but after seeing someone chase me out and ask me what was wrong with their service that I didn't tip them for, I got goosebumps. In Korea or Japan, you can order food and never have to pay a tip. Some restaurants even get mad at you if you try to squeeze in some more money as a tip. I lie this about our culture. Why should you have to pay $10 to eat a $5 meal?

5. [+20, -0] It's the same with hotels. If you don't put a $1 tip on the bed, they'll mess up your room. I heard that it's because the business owners calculate their tips into their pay so they get paid less in consideration for the tips.

6. [+18, -1] I understand tipping in hotels since they clean for you and stuff but why would you tip in restaurants where you serve yourself..

7. [+14, -1] I think the tips should be covered by the boss. Customers should only be expected to tip voluntarily, not forced to.

8. [+14, -0] If it was Korea, any store owner who tried to ask for tips would be beaten down by the customers ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

9. [+13, -1] Whenever I travel to America, I'm always put off by the tips... It's a lot of pressure, even though I try to give $1 wherever I go...

10. [+11, -1] Korea would go nuts if we had a tip culture. People are already so busy exerting their power over servers, imagine if they had to pay them tips as well... they'd work them even harder. And as we know, Koreans are all about showing off and keeping face so they'd always be worried about how much to tip in front of others.

-