Netizens begin to reconsider the Korean eating culture of sharing soups and side dishes

Article: Eating out of the same jjigae bowl? It's time for Korean eating culture to change

Source: E-Daily via Nate

1. [+410, -13] With jjigaes, we've started to normalize putting some aside for yourself in a separate bowl... The real problem is the sharing of all the side dishes..

2. [+246, -11] I think what's more dangerous during these times isn't all the shared jjigaes and side dishes but the container that holds all the utensils for people to take out. You're bound to end up touching the other utensils while pulling your spoon out, so imagine if an infected person reached in for a spoon and then spread it to everyone else who used that container? 

3. [+197, -26] Whenever I see my co-workers dip their spoon into a side dish, I'll refuse to eat it even if it's my favorite

4. [+28, -5] It's also wrong to accuse people of being too sensitive when they bring this up

5. [+25, -5] It's about time we change our eating culture. Ladle aside some jjigae for yourself in separate bowls, portion out the side dishes for everyone individually... it'll not only reduce waste but it's probably more hygienic too. It's time that we focus more on hygiene and cleanliness.

6. [+20, -6] That's why I always portion out everything for myself separately. Need to start educating kids who dip their spoons into everything.

7. [+19, -5] Don't you get looks if you still eat like this outside?

8. [+17, -0] What's also a problem is when everyone's drinking out of and sharing shots from the same soju glass.. ugh, gross..

9. [+14, -1] I learned in history that Koreans actually had a culture of individual portions 100 years ago until we went through all those wars and food became scarce so it was easier for everyone to eat from the same table... I think the pandemic is just returning us to how we originally used to eat.

10. [+10, -0] I remember just last year, people were nagging about anyone who dared to complain about not wanting to share from the same bowl... the pandemic has managed to change a habit that I never thought would change.

11. [+9, -0] I shudder thinking of all the spoons that ate out of the same jjigae ㅋㅋ

12. [+7, -2] Even with traditions, it has to change to fit the times. Don't resist it. 

-