Black Pink's hanbok designer hopes to make hanbok a worldwide fashion trend






Source: Yonhap News via Naver

1. [+1,421, -330] I personally think that traditional hanboks are the prettiest~~

2. [+1,014, -33] Although they may not be hanboks in the traditional sense, I think there's meaning in altering it to match the changing times and spreading it around the world

3. [+529, -73] I'm completely for the modernization of hanboks. Fashion is the most sensitive industry to change so how can you have a piece of clothing that rejects change? Leave that kind of stuff for the museums.

4. [+148, -5] I think change is fine. Hanboks have gone through many different iterations from the Three Kingdoms to Goryeo and Joseon. Now that we're in the 21st century, we should have a 21st century version as well.

5. [+117, -56] She has only been working in the hanbok industry for two years. I'm questioning how much she could actually know and understand about the hanbok. What she created was just a stage outfit using the hanbok as a motif. You could never call that an actual hanbok.

6. [+76, -26] It's not a hanbok, though. It's one inspired by it.

7. [+34, -2] I think she did her part in spreading Korean culture worldwide. Good job!!

8. [+43, -16] Our clothing should have standards too. You can't just call anything a hanbok because it uses hanbok materials. China and Japan have their own traditional clothes. The clothes that the designer is wearing in the last picture... I'm not sure if it's a modernized version of a Chinese style or Korean style at all. You can modernize hanboks but you can't just pull in points from different cultures because it'll just look generically Asian to the eyes of westerners.

9. [+44, -25] I don't think she should call her styles hanbok... I'd rather she call them creative ideas inspired by traditional hanboks and create a brand out of that instead. As a Korean person, the inaccuracy bothers me.

10. [+12, -1] I respect the opinions of people who want to keep it traditional as well as the opinions of people who think we should flow with the changing times. I also respect the opinions of people who want to revolutionize ideas for the future. As such, I think three different types of hanboks exist now. We can't just obsess over one because that will mean we're going backwards.

-