Luna's mother falls victim to phishing scam


Article: Luna falls victim to messenger phishing scam "They took money that we worked hard to save without any guilt"

Source: Newsen via Nate

Luna: Mom ^^ what're you doing
Mom: I'm headed to a family meeting with grandma~
Luna: Okay ~^^ Can you do me a favor ^^
Mom: What is it~
Luna: If you have a spare amount, can you send some money to my manager? I'm busy with my year-end schedules right now...
Mom: Should I tell dad? How much?
Luna: 5.7 million won. You have enough, right? I'll get 6 million won back to you once I get time ^^
Mom: Okay~ what's the deposit account?
Luna: Thanks ^^
Luna: Mom, I need 6 million won more ㅜㅜ I'll send it back after work later
Luna: Mom, can you ask dad one more time ~^^ My manager has run into an issue ㅜㅜ

-

1. [+895, -7] Of all the scams to do, why did it have to be like this.. I hope they get what's coming for them

2. [+767, -16] If you ever need to borrow money, please just make a phone call~ The world is so easy to get scammed in, I feel sad to think that the mother wasn't cautious at all in this. Please just make one phone call, it's the least you can do to defend yourself from situations like this.

3. [+32, -3] I fell victim to this not too long ago too.. ㅜㅜ Fortunately I called them and blocked any further damage but I found out that my aunts and uncles got a call too, and even my MIL a month later. So scary.. please be careful everyone.. ㅜ

4. [+25, -1] You should only send money after a voice call

5. [+23, -1] I always wonder who would fall for these scams but I know that once you're in that situation, it's hard to get yourself out of it ㅠㅠ especially the elderly

6. [+20, -0] If you ever get a text like this, don't reply and just call them.

7. [+18, -0] You have to call them to check. I remember three weeks ago, my Naver ID was accessed by someone in Germany and then China and then my aunt received a message from a scammer claiming to be me.

8. [+12, -0] These types of scams are so common. The best way to minimize damage is to just save your contacts in your phones by their names instead of 'mom', 'dad', 'little sister'.. it makes it easier for them to warm up to them.

9. [+12, -0] Why would you even lend that much money without a phone call.. sigh..

10. [+8, -1] At this point, it sounds like the scammer was someone who knows Luna? How else would they know her family contacts and manager schedule?

-