Korean feminists free themselves from the 'corset' of societal pressure


Article: "My hair's short cut because I think it looks pretty" what it means for a woman in her twenties to escape her 'corset'

Source: Chosun Ilbo via Nate

Article talks about a branch of feminism in Korea where women believe that the societal pressures placed on them by men have them 'corseted', or forced to wear dresses and make up and look and act a certain way. Feminists have been participating in a movement of 'taking off their corsets' by embracing themselves in their natural state, usually meaning less make up, baggier clothes, and shorter hair.

1. [+1,812, -273] What a joke. I'm a woman and I wear make up because I think I look way prettier with it. What does this have anything to do with a corset? Who's making all this stuff up?

2. [+1,503, -288] No one forced any of you to wear a corset and told you to wear one. You're all just looking for an excuse to blame someone.

3. [+1,357, -254] Women always claimed that make up and plastic surgery were for their personal satisfaction but now they're 'tired' and yelling about taking off their corsets. They're the ones who claimed it was 'rape with the eyes' whenever men looked at them and now they're the ones going topless in Seoul (recently, a group of feminists stood topless in Seoul as an act to desexualize breasts). And when you point all this out to them, they fire back nonsensically "they're different points!"

4. [+91, -14] It's ridiculous because now feminists are forcing another corset on women saying you have to have short hair and no make up in order to consider yourself a real feminist ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Feminists are never able to fully explain their stance or goal and whenever someone attacks them with facts, they tell them they're ignorant and need to go study more about feminism ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ and yet they can't explain themselves either ㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+90, -8] I just hope they don't bash other women who choose to wear make up or lacy clothes and dresses as not being 'feminist' and not taking off their corsets. It's all a personal preference.

6. [+71, -12] The thing is, feminists can quietly 'take off their corsets' but they have to brag about it on YouTube and Facebook for the likes...

7. [+65, -12] I feel good and more confident when I wear make up. I feel my mood being lifted when I buy pretty lipstick or a new eyeshadow and blush ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

8. [+59, -8] Why are women suddenly blaming men for wearing make up and dresses and high heels when they wore them to feel good about themselves???? No one told you to wear dresses ㅡㅡ Imagine if all the men who worked out and got six packs for their own personal satisfaction suddenly turned around and said "I will no longer work out to satisfy the demands of women" and started a boycott on working out, wouldn't you think that's ridiculous?? Right?? That's how us men feel right now, this is ridiculous. Women, please wake up.

9. [+46, -6] Wearing your hair short, no make up, baggy pants, and flat sneakers = taking off your corset?? No no, you are forcing another corset on yourself. You can't live according to the rules set by another.

10. [+28, -9] Let's be honest, women wear make up because of other women. Would any of you go to a school reunion with a bare face? I bet you they'd talk crap about you behind your back ㅋㅋ

11. [+26, -3] I'm a woman and even I have to admit this seems forced... I tried make up in high school because others were doing it but there are some days I go to work without make up or wearing pants and it was because I was lazy, not because I was trying to make a feminist statement.

12. [+19, -3] How are they going to explain why women in all girls high schools wear make up? There aren't even men to impress there ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

-