Steven Yeun apologizes for SNS controversy in Cannes interview


Article: [Cannes Interview] Steven Yeun, "I really regret and feel embarrassed over the rising sun flag controversy... I'm sorry"

Source: Sports Chosun via Nate

1. [+1,420, -69] It's understandable that he might not have known since he's a foreigner but he deserves the hate for writing two different apologies in Korean and English. We're no longer a generation where you can write something in English and assume we won't be able to read or understand it ourselves ㅋㅋ

2. [+1,237, -76] I can give him a pass on pressing like on the rising sun flag but it was disappointing to see that he wrote different apologies in Korean and English. Please be more careful in the future...

3. [+880, -151] I guess commenters really are more lenient with male celebrities. The comments are sounding a lot more lenient already... meanwhile others like Seolhyun are still getting 'kinddokkang' in their comments. But then again, we still have stars like Kang Dong Won who bragged about having a right-wing grandfather continue his career just fine.

4. [+22, -6] You're American, nothing more, so just stay like that. Don't think of making any money in Korea anymore.

5. [+22, -21] What matters is how you prove yourself from here on out. Look at Jun Hyosung, she reflected and even got licensed in Korean history.

6. [+21, -2] We're at an age where even Hollywood stars are doing aegyo when they visit Korea to try and appeal to us, what was he thinking? I guess that's what happens when you're too dumb to keep up with your fame.

7. [+18, -7] I know that he's always expressed his love for Korea that this was obviously just a mistake so I feel bad for him. He even wore a hanbok at his wedding. It was just very clear to me how deep his love for Korea has been despite how tough it must've been for him to live in another country away from all that. I'm sad that a misunderstanding like this can make all that seem like nothing... ㅠㅠ He did a lot in bringing awareness to Koreans through his character in 'The Walking Dead' ㅠㅠ I still support you, Glenn

8. [+14, -4] I know I'll probably get hate for this but his post in English simply said that while he doesn't support imperial Japan, he felt sad that internet culture is about judging people based on one like. It didn't come across as making excuses for himself or actions at all.

9. [+10, -4] Koreans have a right to be pissed off by issues like this but he's for all intents and purposes a foreigner, Korean American or not. I doubt he was taught Korean history in American elementary, middle, and high schools. Even if he came across this information in passing, I doubt he would've sat down and searched up the history behind it all on his own. We got mad and now it's time to move on. He already apologized.

10. [+8, -3] Even in America, people would be up in arms if you pressed like on a Nazi photo. It makes no sense that he didn't know that the rising sun flag is pretty much the Nazi flag. I used to really like him and this just ruined it for me.

-