Article: Comedy show reps, "We apologize for Hong Hyun Hee's blackface controversy... we have deleted the scene"
Source: Sports Donga via Naver
1. [+4,165, -227] These apologies just seem like an excuse because Eric Nam has only been in the industry for 3-4 years but still had enough of a mind to refuse to do controversial costumes on 'SNL' like Gandhi or Hong Suk Chun out of respect for those people and their cultures. How is it that so many people on a production team can't amount to one person like Eric Nam?
2. [+3,342, -141] This is ultimately an issue with the broadcast companies. The fact that they didn't axe this before they even let it air just means that they don't understand the root of the issue either. They sacrificed their own gagwoman when everyone's at fault. It shouldn't be the gagwoman apologizing but the broadcast company behind her.
3. [+2,429, -149] What makes me sadder than the racism is that the show just isn't funny anymore ㅠㅠ
4. [+2,026, -82] Enough with the racism against blacks and South East Asians
5. [+1,786, -78] Our country is still like a frog in a pond, we have very little awareness of international cultures because our own culture is so closed off
6. [+207, -5] Let's start by raising our own awareness first about these issues
7. [+204, -12] As much as we get discriminated overseas, we're just as bad in our own culture
8. [+168, -9] It's an embarrassment to our country that this was broadcast
9. [+138, -13] Sigh so barbaric, and funny because we'd all be up in arms if a foreigner did yellowface but we're not hesitant at all with doing blackface when no one race is better than the other
10. [+60, -3] I remember reading the international reactions to Mamamoo's scandal and a lot of people were shocked and disappointed... looks like some people still don't get it or don't care to learn awareness