Do Korean dramas need more sad endings?



Article: Korean dramas are in need of a daring sad ending

Source: Mydaily via Nate

1. [+1,597, -113] Reality sucks enough as it is, must we need to suffer in dramas too?

2. [+1,319, -46] It's easy to say that dramas need more sad endings but scriptwriters know the backlash they'll get from viewers and it'll affect what happens with their next drama too. I remember when one drama had a sad ending, the media ripped on it saying that people are stressed enough as it is, they don't need to be stressed from a drama too.

3. [+900, -95] As long as ajummas hold the remote control power, it will be impossible

4. [+71, -7] Meaningful sad endings are fine but if it's something random and stupid, it's just stressful for the viewers. No one will care if a sad ending is beautifully portrayed. People will just wonder what it would've been like had it been a happy ending.

5. [+63, -3] I'm sure viewers will be understanding if it's a sad ending that makes sense. A lot of the historical dramas are sad endings and no one says anything bad about them. However, I am against sad endings where the scriptwriter kills off characters for the sake of killing off characters. Reality does suck enough as it is, I don't think it's a bad thing that dramas offer an alternative with happy stories.

6. [+52, -5] "I'm Sorry I Love You" left such an impression on me... I think sad endings leave a bigger impact than happy endings though.

7. [+38, -17] Life's hard enough as it is, I don't want to see sad things on TV too

8. [+30, -5] I'd rather a sad ending than the main character waking up to everything being a dream

9. [+29, -7] I think the bigger issue with Korean dramas is that everything revolves around love and dating

10. [+25, -2] The reason people went crazy over 'Signal' was because everyone was tired of the same love lines with a chaebol man and a woman with family secrets and the evil mother-in-law etc etc..

11. [+22, -0] "What Happened in Bali" was the most shocking ending for me. Something straight out of an American drama.. I still remember Jo In Sung's silhouette.

12. [+19, -2] There's just something about sad endings that leave you with a grimy feeling. Happy endings make you feel good and you're able to move on and get back to your life but sad endings just sit with you and you lose focus of everything. I understand sad endings are important for variety but it's exhausting to go out of your way to watch it.

-