Article: 'Cultwo Show' Red Velvet, this time it's only Velvet? But their wit is cute and outgoing
Source: OSEN via Naver
1. [+1,175, -112] There's no law that says a girl group can only do dance songs. Although I do like that they're challenging themselves, I hope they come out with a bright song for their next album, although their new song isn't so bad either.
2. [+1,088, -94] I think SM needs to find a direction for the group. I'm a fan and I really like the group but it makes it hard when you completely ignore the public like this. Look at all of the hate they're getting because the song is lackluster ㅜㅜ I don't think it's too late to experiment with them after they've had some more songs that hit daebak
3. [+885, -46] I was honestly surprised with their new song since I know it's hard as a girl group to release a ballad as your title track. As a fan, I'm proud of them challenging themselves, but I do have to wonder what SM was thinking by ignoring the public and coming out with a ballad like this.
4. [+392, -28] Honestly this was their opportunity to really nail in their trend status so it's upsetting... ㅜㅜㅜ as a Red Velvet fan.. ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜㅜ
5. [+345, -31] I'm an SM fan but... the song is slightly disappointing. For the velvet concept, songs like 'Automatic' is alright but having a ballad as your title track is taking it too far. It would've been better to wait for the group to cement a status and release a ballad later. Sad that this is happening because I'm sure they prepared a lot.
6. [+96, -6] I know you shouldn't ignore the public but I do think it's fine for groups to be experimental. Red Velvet has shown who they are as a group bit by bit and this is the time for them to nail in who they are as a group. If they had waited to experiment and release ballads like this later after the public had gotten used to a certain image, they'd be getting even more hate~
7. [+87, -7] It's SM so people obviously had high expectations and those expectations weren't met so people are disappointed... I don't like their new song either but I hope their next album hits daebak..
8. [+70, -2] Their new album has good songs but none really stood out enough to be called a title track
9. [+74, -5] I really enjoyed 'Automatic' and 'Be Natural' so I was looking forward to this release but the song is painfully boring. The velvet concept I was thinking of was smooth + peculiar feel but this new concept is just smooth and that's it. The rest is okay~ Of course the music video is pretty too.
10. [+74, -5] Lee Soo Man has a tendency to prefer albums that continue a story but I think he should realize that what the public wants is more important to the group than fans who already love SM and understand the way they work. I think a reality show would be good right about now, get fans out of their rooms from stressing about the dropping song rank and streaming it in their rooms all day.
Pann: Red Velvet's abysmal digital rank
Released at 1
1. [+202, -18] It was to be expected. But their albums are selling like never before. I think this album release was intentionally targeted towards the fans they already have and making sure that they stay. Not like this is Red Velvet's last promo... the fact that they released their velvet concept as a mini-album shows that it's an experiment. I hope that the group matures from this promo without worrying about the rank and shows up with better results for their next album.
2. [+166, -16] I find it funny how antis check digital rankings by the hour... I'm proud of Red Velvet for trying something new instead of going the safe route and I don't think they're doing too bad either.
3. [+75, -2] Shows that it really is a risk for a girl group to choose an R&B ballad as their title track
4. [+60, -1] This would've happened to any girl group, not just Red Velvet. The public has an image of the group already and look forward to songs from that image but it's the complete opposite so of course they turn away.
5. [+54, -11] The song's release was poorly timed... no one wants to listen to a sad, heavy ballad like this when it's nice and spring outside. You need a lighter ballad like 'Cherry Blossom Ending' to do well in the spring. Should've just gone with a dance R&B like last time.
6. [+46, -1] They sold 6,000 copies this morning but I guess it's true that the public doesn't care for girl group ballads
7. [+42, -7] For a ballad, that's actually not bad
8. [+27, -0] Would've been a better idea to cement their status with their red concept before going ont o their velvet concept. All of the OST songs on the charts are ballads already so people are sick of ballads, why would they listen to some depressing ballad from an idol group?
Pann: SM probably expected this to happen anyway
1. [+132, -21] I like that SM sticks to something and follows through with it ㅋㅋㅋㅋ they're totally my way or the highway
2. [+121, -16] I really do find it amazing that SM sticks with their concepts even if it means that the public will ignore them. For hardcore fans, that type of attitude is a lot better. This is what I'm an SM fan for.
3. [+113, -15] Yeah, SM songs have a certain quality to them and of course they're really stubborn when it comes to seeing their concepts through. Their songs are good too.
4. [+55, -1] ㅋㅋ of course SM doesn't care, they have the money to back them up and take the loss. It's only the smaller agency groups that have to release what the public wants because they need money. SM seems more on the side of building on the fanbase they already have and making it stronger. SM has the money to try new concepts like this, which is why trainees want to join bigger companies.
5. [+36, -4] Yeah, their new song definitely isn't doing as good as 'Dumb Dumb' but it does feel like their current fandom is getting stronger. They hit over 6,000 copies on Hanteo this morning. The public isn't going to listen to a girl group ballad though but I still appreciate the challenge. It's honestly something only SM can dare doing at a timing as crucial as this.