Article: 'Popularity on the rise' Moranbong Band... strict standards for members, 165 cm + 50 kg
Source: Yonhap News via Nate
North Korea's version of a girl group, the 'Moranbong Band', has been gaining attention in China as they prepare to perform to improve international relations between the two countries. Dubbed the North Korean SNSD, the band was started in 2012 by Kim Jong Un himself and led by his ex-girlfriend.
Comprised of 7 singers and 10 instrument players, the standards for being picked have been revealed to be extremely strict. Most members have been trained for this since youth. Members must be at least 165 cm tall and 50 kg in weight, and many are eliminated no matter how musically talented they are if they do not fit this criteria.
Marriage and dating are banned while a member of the band. Should they get caught doing either one, they will be immediately kicked.
The group is currently looking to perform in Japan next year.
1. [+492, -14] I feel bad for them. They have to waste their beautiful looks living with that hellish pig ㅠㅠ
2. [+419, -30] Kicked out for dating or marriage... so they're basically his sex slaves?
3. [+393, -83] I guess you can't hide that outdated look about them.. they look like ajummas from the eighties
4. [+90, -40] I don't know why people feel bad for these women when there are so many women who apply to join this group every year no matter how strict the beauty standards are. No one's forcing these women to join, they voluntarily apply so I don't feel bad for them.
5. [+22, -3] No dating or marriage = only virgins in the group... that's crazy.
6. [+13, -3] I bet the ajummas in my apartment are prettier than them
7. [+11, -0] What kind of a girl group uses such an outdated name like Moranbong... have to at least be named something like Girlfriend
8. [+11, -2] Sigh, so outdated looking
9. [+8, -2] At the end of the day, they're just Kim Jong Un's sex slaves
10. [+7, -1] They're all pretty ^^