Article: Are female MCs just the flowers of award ceremonies?
Source: Star Today via Daum
Article talks about the mixed reactions to Seolhyun as the MC of KBS Entertainment Awards, with opinions divided between people thinking she was bad with her inexperience and awkward mistakes vs she looked pretty, making the journalist question if being pretty is enough to make up for her lack of experience and if all people want on stage is a pretty female MC to look at.
1. [+320, -17] Amazing sponsor power
2. [+215, -12] Her media play power is Kim Jong Un level and her headlining power is Putin level. She's honestly nothing without her media play, just a nugu actress and idol, and has no right to be up on stage at a ceremony like this.
3. [+214, -22] I bet Shin Dong Yeob wanted to cover her mouth with his hands ㅋㅋㅋ She had no skill to be up there
4. [+104, -6] Shin Dong Yeob made up for her with his wit. Every time she opened her mouth, I was cringing and nervous...
5. [+94, -5] If she was put up there as an MC, she should be doing her job. I can understand being inexperienced but that doesn't forgive her from it.
6. [+83, -5] At the end of the day, she is an idol puppet who dances to choreography taught to them and headlined to media play written by others. Why would you expect talent out of them?
7. [+58, -2] Should've just had an anchorwoman as the MC ㅡㅡ
8. [+44, -0] I thought she was just put up there to give viewers something pretty to look at but every time she opened her mouth, I was cringing so hard
9. [+43, -2] Never in my life have I seen a celebrity pushed this hard into the spotlight. Suzy at least had a popular debut song to back up her fame and Hyeri slowly built up her fame. UEE got support like this at first but she had the visuals to back it up and didn't start MCing at ceremonies until years later. But for someone like Seolhyun who can't sing and has already failed a drama, the push is unbelievable.
Article: AOA Seolhyun, "My MCing was insufficient but I'm grateful to Shin Dong Yeob and Sung Shi Kyung"
Source: X Sports News via Nate
1. [+1,610, -226] Her MCing skills were honestly so bad, she was reading strictly off of the script ㅋㅋㅋ I was reading Naver articles yesterday and the best reply on an Lee Hwi Jae article was "Seolhyun is so bad at MCing", that's how bad it was ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. [+1,569, -204] If she knows that this is her first time and that she's getting opportunities more than deserving of her fame, she should've known to practice as hard as she can...
3. [+1,421, -164] Yeah, she really was bad
4. [+138, -12] You could see her reading the script when the camera wasn't on her and she still got her lines wrong. But this isn't Seolhyun's fault. It's the producers for casting her as the MC. They ruined our viewer experience.
5. [+130, -9] Positions like this should be given to anchorwomen ㅋㅋ she couldn't even read the introductory comments..
6. [+119, -16] An elementary school kid reading out of his Korean book would've done better than you;; she ruined such a huge event, tsk tsk
7. [+113, -4] Should've seen Shin Dong Yeob's face every time she opened her mouth, he looked so nervous ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
8. [+104, -7] Did she not memorize her script ahead of time? Even if this is her first time, she couldn't get through a line without reading her script card...
9. [+98, -13] Yes, she was quite frustrating... but I feel like you could put any idol up there and they'd do as poorly as she did. The job is best left to anchorwomen. Please just cast them for jobs like this.
10. [+88, -5] It's not just her script reading that was the problem but the specific way she talks... she talks like a little kid with the way she ends her sentences, like she's whining about everything. I had to change the channel every time the camera was on the MCs.
11. [+66, -4] Idols sucking at MCing is nothing new, they should know to get some training beforehand. I love how they always come out and get all this hate but never think to learn or train or fix it and keep taking these gigs with their company power and relying on their visuals to make up for it. Agencies, please train your idols for jobs like this!!!!!!!!
12. [+64, -8] Shows the problem of agencies media playing and overhyping their idols........ they fail to follow up with real talent in the end.
Article: AOA Seolhyun, "An honor to MC the KBS Entertainment Awards, I will work harder"
Source: TV Daily via Daum
1. [+433, -94] I just hate how it's so obvious to the eye that her agency is trying so hard to make her popular. She's honestly nothing without her media play, a nugu singer and actress who has no right to stand at a stage like this. She has achieved nothing in her career and keeps using this unknown power to get her name exposed everywhere.
2. [+394, -93] The power of media play... sigh, she had such poor pronunciation, no business at all MCing up there, her poor agency trying so hard to make this work ㅋㅋ
3. [+332, -48] It's like watching a real life version of 'Insiders'
4. [+200, -17] Please don't MC again ㅋ I honestly want to request that TV show that does detective work into mysterious scandals and ask them why Seolhyun is featured on Daum every single day
5. [+161, -11] What's even more shocking to me is that obviously this media play is all leading up to something and it's probably another acting role... I really won't be watching it. Her voice tone, her speech, pronunciation... there's just nothing you can do about that.
6. [+163, -28] Viewers are not here to watch you learn and improve ㅡ.ㅡ Please don't think all viewers are your fans who are forgiving to your mistakes...
7. [+87, -6] I was more surprised she even won a variety award yesterday... that whatever family show flopped and she barely got any screentime on it. I actually thought Yuri would win for 'My Neighborhood Fine Arts'
8. [+67, -11] Absolutely messed up pronunciation, poor MCing skills, with what balls did she accept this MCing gig for...