One woman becomes 1 of 3 women to 'break the glass ceiling' of the corporate ladder without college education


Article: With a junior high school education, all the way to executive board member... one woman breaks the 'glass ceiling'

Source: SBS via Nate

Kim was married at 23 with nothing but a junior high school education and spent her days as a housewife, looking after her sick mother-in-law before deciding to become an insurance planner at the age of 37. She beat out other competition to win the 'Best Insurance King' award 11 times, an award that most don't even win once in a lifetime. She continued working hard and moving up through the corporate ladder until eventually becoming a director at Hanhwa Group.

"I never set a limit for myself. I never limited myself saying that I can't do it because I'm a woman, because of my age, or because of my education. If there was even a 1% chance that I could achieve it, I didn't give up. I put my words into action and made sure that the people I was working with were doing that as well."

-

1. [+422, -80] Unfortunately, stories like Kim are uncommon. Only three women out of the 15,000 with high school education who work in the top 300 companies have risen to the rank of director.

2. [+426, -18] Amazing

3. [+302, -12] Applause~

4. [+38, -7] I'm sorry but I think she only made it up that far because she works in insurance... would be impossible in any other field

5. [+27, -16] Don't care for insurance sellers. It's amazing that she worked her way up that far with a junior high school education but rarely does anyone working in insurance have a higher education anyway. All you need is a persuasive way with words to sell a product that scams people.

6. [+19, -5] Well I'm sure the other 14,997 women in are working just as hard but without the same fate

7. [+19, -4] I don't like insurance companies either but it's definitely not a job to be looking down on. You have so much networking to do and people who actually care about their jobs will find insurance packages tailored to the people they're selling it to.

8. [+11, -4] If she was a member of our generation, it would've been impossible. Nowadays, kids go all the way to study overseas and still can't find employment.

-