Gender selection procedures overseas on the rise


Article: "Even an actress did it"... 'overseas pregnancies' of choosing the baby's sex on the rise

Source: SBS via Nate

Article talks about how women are going overseas for gender selection procedures at fertility clinics abroad. Such procedures are banned in Korea as it is only used to prevent genetic diseases.

1. [+635, -50] In this day and age, people are still being picky over the sex of their child? ㅋㅋ How barbaric

2. [+515, -48] The world's gotten so advanced~ I know someone who had four daughters and just gave up... the stress must be crazy. It's not about life ethics... wouldn't you be pissed too if you only got one gender for your third or fourth kid in a row? Even if it's 50:50...

3. [+421, -32] I know a relative who has four sons;;; they wanted a daughter so bad for their last but it was a son again... From what I hear, if you don't have a son as your first child, the mother-in-laws will go around asking other mothers with sons for their underwear to increase the chances of their own daughter-in-law getting a son.

4. [+64, -8] I honestly support gender selection after your third child.

5. [+61, -16] People talk about how daughters are more preferred now but reality is that people will be like "sure having a daughter's great... but you need! a son."

6. [+58, -6] I'm currently pregnant with my second child and when I'm out on the streets, grandmas and grandpas will come up to me asking about the sex and I'll say it's a daughter~~~ and they'll be like "your first is a son, right?" and when I say my first is a daughter, they tsk tsk tsk and say, "Looks like you need to have a third now"... so stressful ㅠㅠㅠ I'd honestly do gender selection if it could guarantee that my third would end up a son.

7. [+56, -9] I can kind of understand why people would want to choose the genders... especially families where they've had two daughters or sons in a row. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to let those families choose the gender of their next child. It would also encourage people to have more children...

8. [+40, -0] What does any of this matter... your child should be beautiful to you regardless of its sex. And when they're all grown up, they'll have their own lives and their own families to live and you're back on your own as a couple again. Kids are all about how you raise 'em..

9. [+36, -13] This honestly doesn't seem like something humans should be able to control... it's scary...

10. [+33, -2] I know a family who went to America to get this done... There are still households that demand a son to continue the line and for the women in those households, it might be better to just pay for gender selection than live all of your pregnancies under stress and fear, on top of repeatedly having babies hoping for a son.

11. [+28, -6] Daebak, 99% of these procedures are done to have a son... people talk all the time about how daughters are preferred but everyone's just trying to get sons. I have a friend who has a daughter and is always going on about how daughters are the best and how she doesn't care if her next baby is a daughter but I found out she has secretly been taking herbal medicine that supposedly helps in getting sons.

-