Elementary school kids forced to sign suicide prevention vow


Article: 1st year elementary school students asked to sign vows not to commit suicide with witness signatures

Source: Kukmin Ilbo via Nate

'Vow to Love Life'

I will think preciously of my life and love and respect myself and promise to never commit suicide.
1. I, _____, will never commit suicide and will never attempt to harm myself or commit suicide.
2. I will take appropriate breaks and sleep for my health.
3. I will get rid of all tools that can aid in a suicide and not depend on alcohol or drugs.
4. In order to prevent suicide, I will consult with someone around me about my worries and difficulties if I'm feeling unwell.

-

1. [+641, -9] I get that they mean well but I don't think it's appropriate to approach the issue as such a serious matter to elementary school students. They could've just left the vow to say simple things like, "I promise to love myself", "I promise to love my friends", "I promise to love animals", etc.. I think the teacher thought too far ahead.

2. [+409, -15] Vows like this should be made by the educators responsible for the children. Teachers should make sure that students can come to school happy and without thoughts of suicide.

3. [+172, -6] It's not that the vow is wrong but it's expressed so explicitly...

4. [+13, -2] Would 8 year old kids even understand suicide? I feel like the vow could've been approached in a more simpler, natural manner that's easier for the kids to understand.

5. [+13, -4] I feel like this vow would be something you'd find at a mental hospital. It's way too serious for little kids.

6. [+11, -6] So they basically forced a bunch of little kids to write a vow promising not to commit suicide and have their parents sign it? ㅡㅡ Yeah, such great education nowadays. Instead of getting to the root of the problem on why kids commit suicide and finding a solution to it, they're just forcing kids to sign a piece of paper saying they won't do it. So idiotic.

7. [+9, -1] I would be more understanding if this was vow was given to junior high school kids to sign

8. [+7, -2] What would an 8 year old know about suicide... ㅋㅋ

9. [+6, -0] Are they going to force pre-schoolers to sign vows saying they're going to stay virgins until marriage too?

10. [+6, -1] Definitely a vow that I'd see in a mental hospital.. I don't think such extreme measures are needed for little kids.

-