[Pann] Sojin's struggle towards debut story


Pann: Girl's Day Sojin's tearful debut story

Sojin had an average high school career and focused on studying to get into the college of her dreams. She never once lost her top rank and got into Joongang Uni, Hanyang Uni, and Kyungbuk Uni in the first semester of her senior year.

In her second semester of high school, one agency contacted her and offered her a chance to release an album if she paid $2,000 for six months of training.

"I don't remember why but I thought at the time that this was my opportunity and begged my mom to let me go up to Seoul every weekend to begin my training. I was with 40 others there and after six months, the agency just disappeared. We were conned."

After losing her shot at debut, Sojin's grades also suffered. By her third semester of high school, her grades had dropped rapidly.

"I was rejected from all of the schools that I wanted and I eventually ended up in mechanical engineering at Youngnam Uni. Many are always curious why a female majored in engineering but my father and aunt are in similar fields. Engineering to me wasn't something foreign. I studied hard and made a car in my first semester. I didn't even think about wanting to become a singer again after being conned."


Sojin, however, couldn't hide her talents and eventually joined her school's rock band and reawakened her dreams of becoming a singer.

"I liked singing in front of people. I took a semester off and left home to head to Seoul. My parents were completely against it so I left a letter in my father's shoe and packed my bags and left."

She stayed at her Seoul Uni friend's home and started working part-time jobs at cafes, fast food restaurants, internet call centers, and wine bars. She saved enough to afford her own place and take vocal lessons.

"For four and a half years, I worked part time, spending half of my day either practicing or at my academy and the other half making money. I could live off of $200 a month alone even today if I had to."

A perfectionist, Sojin didn't even take auditions until she felt completely ready, which took four years.

Fortunately, another opportunity came her way. While in lesson at a music academy in Hongdae, her instructor approached her, saying, "There's an agency preparing a girl group right now so why don't you audition for them?" It ended up being Dream Tea Entertainment's Girl's Day.

"That day, a different instructor had come from the usual I worked with. He recommended that I try out for the audition. I thought for sure I'd be rejected because I was older than the others and had never learned how to dance but I was fortunately picked by my current company."

-

1. [+177, -14] I'm really jealous of her work ethic and talents for never letting her dreams go for four long years while working in difficult conditions away from home.

2. [+167, -13] It's so sad how she says she can live off of $200 a month even now ㅠㅠㅠ It took so long for Girl's Day to get popular, I'm glad she stuck through it all. I hope she never looses her roots and continues to work hard ㅠㅠ Sojin fighting

3. [+150, -10] I think it'd be a good post for someone working towards their dreams in difficult conditions to read. Sojin's an amazing person to look forward to ^^ If you scrolled all the way down, it isn't a long read so go back and read it all.

4. [+46, -6] She seems to have an immense sense of responsibility and amazing work ethic. It took her that much work just to debut and then so much longer for Girl's Day to get popular... she overcame a lot to finally see the light, all because she never gave up on her dreams.

5. [+40, -6] I'm jealous of her work ethic... Four years is a long time to spend without family. Four years just working part time jobs...

6. [+37, -3] She takes care of her group maknaes so well too ㅜㅜ

7. [+37, -3] It's amazing how she had the strength to leave her family leaving just a letter in her father's shoe ㅜㅜ

8. [+32, -2] Her favorite quote: "If you wish hard for your dream, the entire world will wish with you"

-