Article: Kim Jae Woong's coming out, the misdirection of the producers
Source: TV Daily via Nate
Viewers are expressing discomfort over the way fashion designer Kim Jae Woong was 'forced' to come out on the TV show 'Share House'.
Fellow cast members suspected that he was gay over his feminine actions and Lee Sang Min cornered him after he came home from an outing with another female by asking questions like, "Be honest, do you like men? or women?" Ever since the pilot episode, Lee Sang Min and the cast members had told him, "You need to change your voice to be more masculine."
Kim Jae Woong answered back, "Whether I just met my girlfriend or a close nuna, what does it matter to you?"
The members then said, "We would be curious about this whether it was you or another member. You're just being overly sensitive."
Kim Jae Woong then left the house to have some time to himself. The members asked each other, "Were we too harsh?"
After coming back, Kim Jae Woong confessed, "I'm the same man as Sangmin hyung, Sung Joon hyung, and Ho Young hyung but there's one difference between me and them and it's that I like men. I've always been asked by others 'what am I' since I was little. I am not a monster."
1. [+386, -6] That is in no way a voluntary coming out at all. He was forcefully outed on TV.
2. [+367, -9] I'm sure it was scripted but I am suspicious of the producer's intentions. This was not a voluntary coming out. This was forced.
3. [+341, -13] Even as a viewer, I could tell that he was gay (by his actions) so I'm sure that the cast members living with him had a clue. I can't believe that they acted clueless and cornered him with questions like that until he was forced to confess. Another article said that they all already knew he was gay, then what was the point of forcing him to say it publicly?
4. [+30, -0] He was forced to come out of the closet. This was not voluntary.
5. [+22, -2] Both the cast and the producers are in the wrong... They could've kept it to themselves and asked him off cameras. They knew cameras were rolling, why make someone feel so uncomfortable?
6. [+14, -0] He's not even a celebrity, why force him to come out like that on TV...........
7. [+11, -2] They're so rude... How can you ask questions like that so directly. How immature can they be?
8. [+6, -0] I hope he's not hurt through this ordeal. He said it bravely and I hope he doesn't regret it. Supporting Kim Jae Woong as a viewer of Fashion Runway Korea!
1. [+1,523, -90] Honestly, I barely even knew who he is and didn't care about whether he's gay or not but the other members crossed a line. I'm just an average male myself but I feel bad for Kim Jae Woong... they cornered him and demanded to know if he's gay. That's verbal abuse. I'm so disappointed in them.
2. [+1,361, -82] Lee Sang Min-ssi, this is verbal abuse.
3. [+993, -49] I bet there are a lot of gay celebrities who haven't come out yet
4. [+287, -5] They hide their dating relationships but they're so adamant about revealing someone to be gay? Then why don't they reveal their relationships too, how fun it would be considering there's an idol in the cast too.
5. [+287, -13] So he didn't even voluntarily reveal it but was forced to by the show? How horrifying.