Korean is countrified while English sounds high class?


Article: "Korean is countrified"... meaningless English words bombard children's shows

Source:
SBS via Nate

Article talks about how Korean children's shows prioritize using English words over Korean words simply because it 'sounds cooler' and Korean words 'sound countrified'.

A study was run that asked kids to choose between the words 'transformation' and 'habche', and they all chose 'transformation' because it's English and it sounds cooler.

1. [+596, -7] Even our government agencies are changing their names to English, what do you expect from children's shows?

2. [+559, -13] It's not only children's shows that this applies to... Rain coat, rain boots, florist, hair artist, healing, counseling, mentoring... We use all these English words in our society thinking they make us sound more luxurious and high class.

3. [+533, -21] I hate people that throw around the words 'fact' and 'healing';;

4. [+27, -1] 'gyepi' sounds countrified while 'cinnamon' sounds luxurious, 'maneul bbang' is smelly while 'garlic bread' is aromatic, 'ahjum' is too filling while 'brunch' is just right, 'bibimbap' is outdated while 'fusion cuisine' is trendy, 'janghwa' is for working while 'rain boots' can be worn on dates, etc...

5. [+25, -1] I remember when I was shopping with my mom at the mall and saw a sign that said 'Fox Fur'. I turned to my mom and said, "Look mom, that's 'yeowoo (fox)' fur!" The store employee then turned to me with a smirk and said, "Customer, fox and yeowoo fur are different~"... ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+20, -1] Another thing is when people call you stupid and all sorts of criticisms for getting an English spelling wrong but no one cares when you spell a Korean word wrong ㅋㅋ

7. [+18, -1] Let's love the Korean language

8. [+16, -0] I know a bit of English myself because I lived abroad for 8 years but I found the random English in idol songs to be really countrified... Especially SHINee's fantastic, elastic.. I was so extremely embarrassed in front of foreigners ㅠㅠㅠ

9. [+16, -0] I think the media has more to do with it than anything. Even idols think Korean names are countrified so they give themselves English names.

10. [+10, -1] Sad thing is, people in our country are more embarrassed about not knowing English than they are about not knowing proper Korean grammar

-