Article: Psy's 'Porno Hallyu', are you proud of it?
Source: PRESSian via Naver
Article questions whether Korea should be proud that a highly sexual music video like 'Gentleman' is gaining such international attention. It brings up several scenes where Psy is 'abusing' women and carrying misogynistic themes, and generally compares the music video to the level of pornography. The most controversial scene was the one where Ga-In is eating a fish cake stick with white sauce.
Journalist then criticizes Koreans for justifying all of this as long as Americans like it, saying that "Americans have no problem with it" and that Korean society has matured enough for content like this to be accepted. Journalist quotes a few American netizens calling the music video "cheap and low", "disgusting", and "I don't like this gentlemen song. It's all about men sexually abusing women. What an awful lesson to give our young boys" to counter those points.
Finally, the journalist questions whether Psy really is a 'Hallyu spreader' like everyone seems to think he is, since he's not really spreading Korean culture but rather something closer to American culture.
1. [+2,330, -160] The music video without a doubt is sexually suggestive. Whether or not you're biased or old fashioned, any person that views it anywhere in the world will think it is.
2. [+2,099, -137] I agree with the article to an extent... Ga-In eating that fish cake stick was just;
3. [+1,963, -107] I agree that there should be criticisms like this against the music video. It's definitely an erotic MV...
4. [+1,789, -95] It's a comedic music video... but not as fun as Gangnam Style.
5. [+1,438, -126] I disagree. As a longtime Psy fan, I know that he's just done music the way he's wanted to without any consideration for whether he gets a response and whatnot and just because he's become the Obama of our media doesn't mean anything. Psy's just doing what he wants, we shouldn't be trying to put him in a box and stick meanings on to his songs. His worldwide fame is just an extra perk, not a staple to his music.
6. [+1,361, -93] I like Psy but I always felt uncomfortable with this release. I saw the music video once and never again and I think this article does a good laying out what I feel uncomfortable about.
7. [+835, -67] I agree as well, it's definitely sexually suggestive. And it's obvious what Psy and Ga-In were going for when they were shaking the beer can and eating the fish cake stick ㅋㅋ
8. [+796, -76] It really did feel like a porno;; I knew that even foreigners wouldn't like it
9. [+708, -45] Everyone's so busy obsessing over his chart stats and YouTube views that they're not stopping to think about real issues like this. Is it right to just accept everything that he releases because he's Psy?
10. [+664, -179] Psy isn't going sexual for his American advancement, he's always been a sexual artist ㅡㅡ.
11. [+443, -160] Agree 100%... If Gangnam Style was crossing the border, Gentleman is basically over the border. It's not only disgusting, but cheap and low. I felt like I was sitting in trash the entire time I was watching it.
12. [+232, -22] Gangnam Style was dirty fun but Gentleman is just plain dirty ㅋㅋ