Dramas begin to standardize Korean subtitle options

Article: Korean subtitles begin being added to public broadcast Korean dramas "aids in focus"

Source: Busan Ilbo via Naver

1. [+191, -4] This is good. Even if you don't have a disability, there are some actors whose pronunciations are difficult to hear or some who whisper too softly.. I wonder how slang and swears will be subtitled, though ㅎ 

2. [+47, -1] It is a lot more comfortable with subtitles on. Sometimes people mumble or background effects make it hard to listen to what's going on... and raising the volume only causes a jump scare when it cuts to a commercial break. 

3. [+28, -2] Having subtitles definitely makes it easier to understand what's going on immediately

4. [+5, -0] I had difficulty adjusting to Netflix at first with Korean subtitles on but now that I've gotten used to it, I can't live without it. Some actors really do mumble and background effect sounds are too loud to raise the volume any more than I have it set to. Now I don't have to fiddle with anything all the time.

5. [+5, -1] Everything on TV should be subtitled. We especially need it for historical dramas... sometimes I truly have no idea what's going on without it.

6. [+5, -1] It fixes a combination of problems from mumbling actors to poor sound engineering

7. [+4, -0] I actually find subtitles distracting. My eyes keep following the words instead of focusing on the screen.

8. [+3, -0] Having it is much easier, especially because some actors have terrible pronunciation and tonality ㅋ

9. [+3, -0] It should be mandatory for all public broadcast shows. Some actors just can't pronounce for the life of them.

10. [+1, -0] I totally welcome this change

-