'The Silent Sea' receives terrible foreign media reviews despite star-studded cast

Article: With Gong Yoo and Bae Doona, why is 'The Silent Sea' receiving such terrible reviews

Source: Seoul Economy via Naver

1. [+2,821, -352] I found it way better than 'Hellbound', am I the weird one? ㅎ

2. [+1,146, -61] It was a bit disappointing. The sets were so obvious compared to American SF sets, and I wish they'd consult with actual scientists when writing the script. It bothered me how so much of what they were saying defied the laws of science.

3. [+973, -95] I enjoyed it...

4. [+575, -78] I watched all of it while fighting back sleep... no fun or touching moments, and the last scene was absolutely ridiculous. I totally felt like I was watching out of patriotism more than anything else.

5. [+541, -113] I thought it was way better than 'Hellbound'.. why do people think Koreans aren't allowed to produce SF?

6. [+217, -12] My vote goes to it's good... I never finished 'Hellbound' but 'The Silent Sea' kept me on my toes every episode.

7. [+169, -4] It's ranked #4 worldwide just two days after release, since when was that considered bad ㅋㅋㅋ it's pretty amazing that it's #3 in the US and #4 in the UK. 

8. [+207, -43] Upvote if it's good, downvote if you thought it was bad

9. [+152, -13] I stayed up till 4 am to watch it all, what's with the negative reviews??? 

10. [+108, -3] I thought it was fun. It was really imaginative and it left no room for boredom. 

11. [+104, -3] I enjoyed it so much that I pulled an all nighter Christmas night to watch it. Am I the only one who thought it was good?

12. [+97, -3] Is there any reason that we should be trying to impress foreign tastes? Why does it feel like only their validation matters? Is our stuff only considered good if they say it is? Who cares if foreign media considers it the worst, everyone can have different opinions on it. I remember 'Squid Game' and 'Hellbound' receiving mixed reactions too. It's all subjective, and it's important that we watch 'The Silent Sea' as a standalone project and not in comparison to anything else.

-