Hollywood: The Little Mermaid


Article: Halle Bailey's first image as 'The Little Mermaid' transformation unveiled, will she quiet the controversy?

Source: Mydaily via Nate

1. [+1,403, -72] Race aside, she does look like a fish though

2. [+1,021, -54] This isn't it...

3. [+800, -83] It looks like a Disney movie about a monster~

4. [+101, -1] I was looking forward to the poster hoping I'd get used to her more if I saw her in costume but... the cutesy Ariel that I remember looks a lot more warrior-like now. Not what I expected ㅠ

5. [+97, -3] The reason people are against her casting is not because of her race but because it completely strays from the original

6. [+95, -2] She looks more like a fish than a mermaid. How do you sell Ariel for decades as a white girl with red hair and suddenly do this?

7. [+72, -3] This looks like a poster for the Lion King than the Little Mermaid...

8. [+66, -3] I'm not putting down the fact that she's black, I'm just wondering why I grew up watching a white skinned, doe-eyed, cutesy red-headed Ariel to this...

9. [+57, -1] I reckon it's a sticky situation for foreigners. They can't really say they don't like the way she looks otherwise they'll be called racist. Some of them are saying she'd be better suited for Tiana but Tiana's a black princess who's also prettier than this so...

10. [+52, -2] She really does look like a fish though

11. [+49, -1] With whitewashing becoming an issue in the movie industry, I think Disney is going on the extreme end of being PC. This is practically blackwashing. Why cast a black actress when the story originally takes place in Denmark?

12. [+42, -1] The story takes place in the middle ages in Europe so having a black lead doesn't make historical sense.. this isn't an issue of racism, it's an issue of logic..

-