Baekhyun receives backlash for statement on depression


Article: EXO Baekhyun, "I don't know why people get depression, surround yourself with good people"

Source: Joongang Ilbo via Nate

At his fan signing, "I think there are a lot of depressed people these days. If I could give my opinion, I personally don't know why people get things like depression and insomnia. I hope everyone surrounds themselves with good people so that you're always thinking good thoughts. I hope all of you look at me and always find a reason to laugh."

-

1. [+845, -33] Does he have a brain? How can he say something like this when his own labelmate senior commit suicide over depression? So many people in his company shed so many tears and suffered such sadness over his death. He watched all of that, and he still dared to say this? Any word of hate would be lost on him, but I'll say this: I hope you suffer from depression. I hope these words come back to you like a boomerang. Suffer from the words you just said.

2. [+761, -24] He seems so thoughtless... It has barely been a month since your senior left for heaven. At least show some consideration...

3. [+682, -19] It has barely been two weeks since his labelmate senior made such a decision... he must not have a brain to be saying this.

4. [+77, -3] "I don't know why anyone gets depression" ^^ well don't be so sure yourself because there are a lot of cases where people start suffering from it randomly. Please shove your opinion in the trash. How can you even say that when you lost your own senior to it?

5. [+71, -2] I could already tell from his award speech how full of cockiness and arrogance he's full of.

6. [+69, -1] He's basically putting Jonghyun down saying there was no one good around him

7. [+65, -1] "I hope all of you look at me and always find a reason to laugh" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Yeah I'm laughing at how dumb you sound

8. [+61, -1] I heard he even told a fan suffering from depression to go get depression medication prescribed ㅋㅋㅋ does he think he's a doctor or something?

9. [+56, -1] Baekhyun fans, please don't try to bury this using your weird logic. I lost my own friend to depression, how can you think what he said was something to brush off? My friend kept cutting back on her medication before eventually being hospitalized and then committing suicide. Please do not speak out on things you don't have knowledge on... seriously...

10. [+41, -3] Finally this news hit the media... fans need to stop shielding this

11. [+37, -0] Seems like he wanted to say something encouraging to people with depression... I understand his intention but it's better to stay quiet if you're not able to deliver the meaning of your words effectively

12. [+33, -1] Is SM not managing these kids ㅡㅡ

13. [+33, -2] Soon we'll see the dire efforts of his fans try to shield this mess

14. [+31, -3] Are you attacking your own senior right now??? Are you attacking Jonghyun?? Do you think Jonghyun suffered from depression because he chose to?? Because he didn't surround himself with good people??? Please think before you speak...

15. [+30, -1] I've seriously been a fan of him for 5 years but I lost all respect for him after he said this

-